Dispatching rabbit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
The only method I see spoken of on this site - with the exception of that spike with an antler handle for falconers - is two fingers behind the head, other hand on hind legs, and pull whilst twisting the head in all sorts of directions. After seeing loads of mixy rabbits around the area, I am wondering if there are alternatives people prefer, like holding the hind legs and hitting on a fence or something. Perhaps something a bit easier.

Anybody?

Cheers,

[edit] Found on the net something about a 'karate' chop to the neck...sounds a bit silly.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hold it upside down by the hind legs and give it a quick hard hit on the back of the neck with a solid piece of wood, the back of your axe or machete, doing it this way will break its neck clean. This is a very humane and very quick way of putting the animal out of its misery!

Dandaman_24

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2007
W Midlands
I take a trowel out with my rabbiting kit. I find it easier for me to give the rabbit a quick but steady whack over the back of the head, and its lights out.

I tried the other methods, but found it bit finecky for me.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Biddlesby,
Please do not even start to think, that bashing a rabbits skull in by swinging it at a fence or performing some kind of martial arts move is anywhere near an acceptable method of dispatch. The use of a priest (a weighted club) is closer, but takes practice to get right. If you intend to perform the deed by hand, a more secure grip is to grasp the saddle of the animal not the back legs, it means that you have more direct control over the spine; grip the head from behind, between your middle two fingers (like Dr Spock's salute), turn the head to one side and stretch. It takes a lot of energy to perform this quickly, but you will feel a definate click when the neck breaks. There is no pretty way of saying it, but you have to be responsible for a clean kill, you owe it to your prey. The cleanest kill will be a shot through the head when death will be instant.
If you need to practice the manouvre, find a road kill victim and try it out - it may not be pleasant but there is not the time to practice on a live animal.

Ogri the trog

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Similar to Ogri

If right handed take the waskely wabbit in the left hand using the Ogri grip, using right hand palm down place head (wabbits head) between thumb and index finger wrap fourth and fifth finger around lower jaw press down whilst bending neck back. Again you will feel the dislocation.

If when you pick up your intended victim it begins to kick violently pause for a few seconds until it relaxes and then take hold firmly.

If like me you are 'blessed' with an abundance of buzzards mixy wabbits don't last long.

Happy hunting, Pothunter.

K

Karr

Hold it upside down by the hind legs and give it a quick hard hit on the back of the neck with a solid piece of wood, the back of your axe or machete, doing it this way will break its neck clean. This is a very humane and very quick way of putting the animal out of its misery!

I always use this method, i use a cosh made from Holly. I always give a second hit to promote the bleeding. I have never liked the neck pulling, for a reason i will not go into.

But what is the legality of using a cosh to dispatch an Animal. I read that it is illegal to stone or club an animal to death? Or don't coshing apply to smaller animals?

Regards Sparrow.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
But what is the legality of using a cosh to dispatch an Animal. I read that it is illegal to stone or club an animal to death? Or don't coshing apply to smaller animals?

Regards Sparrow.

Not sure of the legalities Sparrow,
but I'm guessing that stoning or clubbing to death have something to do with that as a method of hunting in totality. The use of a priest or cosh is merely delivering the coupe-de-grace after the prey has been procured by other means.
Rabbits occupy a curious position under the law, in that they are both game and vermin at the same time. So whilst every landowner is required by law to control their numbers, there are also regulations as to how this may be carried out.

ATB

Ogri the trog

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I have been ferreting for a number of years and find that breaking the neck as described by Ogri to be far and away the most effecient means of dispatching. With practise you can learn to do it in a split second and the rabbit hardly suffers at all. I've seen kids (one who happened to be the son of a game keeper!) try and dispatch them by hitting them over the head, only for the rabbit to be stunned slightly and start squealing its head off!

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
I've got to say that I've never got on with the "pull & twist" method either.

I have despatched a fair few in my time and I favour the blow to the back of the neck.

I pick the rabbit up by its back feet with my left hand and hold it hanging head downwards. The rabbit will instinctively raise its head to see what's going on. This forms a nice almost 90 degree angle at the neck and a sharp blow with the side of the heel of my right hand, in the angle of the neck at the base of the skull, snaps the neck instantly. No pain and no great stress for the rabbit.

I’m told it works quite well on naughty children too!!!!!:)

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I used to have a "priest" I made in metal-work at school, very heavy brass head on a dowel handle.

I was told it was a "priest" because it administered the last rights...

They used something similar on "Bad lads army" so I guess it is legal to use.

LS

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I was taugt to hold it upside down by the hind legs and quickly run your straight, open hand down its back fairly quickly, all the way down, following through right down the whole animal. When it hits the back of the head it dislocates the neck and gives an almost instant kill.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It is known as a priest because, in earlier times, priests would carry a club into battle. The priests were not combatants but their role was to tend the wounded.Part of that was to end the suffering of those too horrifically wounded to recover. Hence the club being used for a merciful despatch becoming known as a priest.

Red

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
It is known as a priest because, in earlier times, priests would carry a club into battle. The priests were not combatants but their role was to tend the wounded.Part of that was to end the suffering of those too horrifically wounded to recover. Hence the club being used for a merciful despatch becoming known as a priest.

Red

I guess that even men of the cloth are allowed a night out clubbing once in a while...

I'll get my coat:lmao:

LS

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
I raise rabbits so I can explain how I do it. I hold the rabbit upside down by its hind feet. I rub the animal behind its ears, stoking downward so that it relaxes a bit. I have a small club made from the top of a shovel handle (Hickory) which I use to quickly knock the rabbit out by striking it behind the ears. They usually just tense up after hitting them and then I bleed the animal by cutting the throat. Not a difficult process and very effective.

Alex

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
Biddlesby,
There is no pretty way of saying it, but you have to be responsible for a clean kill, you owe it to your prey. The cleanest kill will be a shot through the head when death will be instant.
Ogri the trog
AMEN!!
I remember being on a survival course where they were dispatching old roosters but invariably the instructor need to step in. Ogri has it right but I would like to make the following observations:

1. If you use the joint between fore and middle finger (churchill's salute) this gives you a much better fulcrum using your knuckles by rolling your hand.
2. The problem with this technique generally is that it requires quite a stretch and your advantage reduces the further you have to stretch.
3. I note a preference for using a cosh/ priest but that means carrying or making one and a degree of hand eye co-ordination. An inferior technique in my view.
4. An effective alternative is as follows:
Take the animal in a firm grip around the loin, this will prevent it from racking you with the claws on its hind legs, a good source of infection in a wilderness situation - best avoided.
Place the animal on the ground in front of you
When it stop struggling, take a firm grip at the knape of the neck
Put the heel of your other hand under the chin and with a very firm thrust - push the head back over your other hand. You will feel and hear the neck dislocate.
Note - you don't have to have your hand around the animals throat , the knape is sufficient. This can also be performed off the ground by holding the animal still between your knees. Either this or Ogri's technique avoids the necessity for bleeding the animal as most of the blood will collect in the area of the disclocation.

Care firmness speed and power in that order is all that is required

As the Arabs say May God bless the fecundity of the hare (read rabbit)

Stephen

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Perhaps something a bit easier.

The quickest, safest (for you) and best method of a quick dispatch is one that I developed (well that's to say, I've never seen anyone else describe or use it, other than the people I have shown).

I have to admit that this method was developed not only for a quick dispatch but also a silent dispatch.
It will work if the rabbit has just bolted from a warren (ferreting) or wounded (gun shot) or diseased etc.

With the rabbit in front of you, grab the two back legs (right hand), quickly step on the head with the arch of your right foot, not stepping hard! this is simply to hold the rabbits head on the ground, pull with your right hand, whilst applying pressure with your right foot. You'll feel the neck break. This method is fast and 100% effective. The idea is NOT to crush the skull, simply to hold the head on the ground.

The result is a perfect text book broken neck! leaving the rabbit intact and clean. It will not alert other rabbits as it is fast and silent. You will not risk a scratching, or a bite from the rabbit if you use this method.

John

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales

Red

I thought it was because it served the last rights.

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE