Dinner suggestions please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
We've been lying in bed watching Saturday Kitchen on the telly this morning, and I've agreed to make amends for the um charred tablecloth :oops: by cooking Kath the ultimate romantic dinner for two ... :-D

So I could use some help with suggestions for the ultimate bushcraft feast suitable to early spring:

So far I have:

For a starter:
limpets
hard boiled eggs (bit of a cheat but from free roaming hens)
dandelion salad

For a main course:
roast rabbit
wild onion
sea kale
needs some carbohydrate - thinking about cat tail root (not sure about the time of year for this??)

Bit stuck on dessert for this time of year. Any ideas ???

Dandelion coffee

Mar 2, 2004
dandelion salad?
is it edible? is it just the leaves?
over here theyre known as "wee the beds" because apparently if you eat the stems you wee the bed in your sleep..its true!

why not forget dessert and go straight to the cheeseboard?

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
the naughty boy said:
why not forget dessert and go straight to the cheeseboard?
Sacrilage! :shock:

Besides can you think of a wild cheese to forage?? :wink: Also we don't have cows or sheep to milk so no chance of making our own cheese.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
You could use Burdock root for your carbohydrate, the swines take some digging up though!

For dessert you couldn't get much more romantic than Primrose flowers, raw or lightly battered then fryed.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
dandelion salad?
is it edible? is it just the leaves?
Yep!!! they are edible. The young leaves are what you want in a salad as older ones can taste a bit tooooo green and bitter. The roots you can also roast to make a coffee substitute...... which is passable.

:)
Ed

N

nowhere

well i like danelion leaves - very nutritious - i also eat the flower heads which brightens up the salad nicely!

Steve.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
You can add young beech leaves and Hawthorn leaves to those dandelions to make abit of a salad, and watercress if you can find it.
And the ramsons are up if you wanna garlic things up a bit.
What are wild onions ??
Cheers
Rich

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions!

It all sounds good. The only thing I'm drawing the line at is woodlouses (lice??) as that's too gross for a non-survival situation... :p

And besides I kinda like the little fellas (I think they look like tiny little armadillos! :hurra: )

I'm getting really excited about the meal now. It's scheduled for this weekend (weather permitting!) as it's my birthday.

I will try and post some pics next week (assuming I'm not in hospital! :mrgreen:)

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
Haha.... i bought one of those with a larvae or maggot in for my girlfriend as a jokey stocking filler a few years back. Her wee bro was only about 9 or 10 at the time and scoffed it thinking it was a fake.... oh the tears when he found out it was real, heehee :twisted: Served him right for nicking it in the first place though :lol:

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
I love it! And in place of the after dinner mint ... a creme de menth flavoured cricket! :rolmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE