Digital photography

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
A rare visitor to the kit section............ but I've just got myself one of these http://www.jessops.com/Store/s47076...s/details.aspx?&IsSearch=y&pageindex=1&comp=y and love it. I got a good deal at Curry's which included an extra 55 - 200 mm lens and a 1GB memory card and bag to carry it all in. There's even a pocket in the bag for my sandwiches :confused: Chuffed. :) My question is can anyone recommend a good digital photography for beginners book. I can work the camera (just) :confused: but would like a few hints and tips on taking better pictures. Does anyone know of such a book?

Cheers in advance

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
It's not a digital photography book, the author uses film cameras, but all the information on aperture use and shutter speeds etc and tips on compostition and the lot all apply to any type of photography.

I have many (many, many, many) photography and this is the best of the lot - John Shaw

antwerpman

Apr 29, 2006
belgium
have a look at this http://www.123di.com/buy.htm, you can download part of it to try. I did and I think I am going to buy it. I am looking for some time and this looks like the most interesting thing .Later on you can buy upgrades for a reasonable price ( 7 or 8 dollar )

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
My personal recommendation would be a book that is mainly aimed at DSLR photographers.

Although the principles of light and lenses are the same for film and digital there is a lot that is unique to digital to learn.

I've been a photographer for as long as I can remember but going digital was steep learning curve for me. The picture process doesn't end with the click of the shutter, there's post-processing to consider (enhancing your images in Photoshop - or whatever - and adjusting it for your desired output - web/print/etc).

I hesitate to recommend any particular book but I'd go for one that teaches the basics of SLR photography, lenses, f/stops, exposure, etc. It should also teach you about the digital image and how to get the best results, advantages/disadvantages of JPEG/RAW (NEF on your Nikon) etc. An introduction to post-processing and cataloguing your files would be a good feature in a book too.

Post-processing is a subject in its self and can easily fill a book. It's one of those areas where it's easy to overdo things but it can also help you to make your images really sparkle.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Have a chat with Queeg9000 on here.
I know that he set up a group of enthusiasts in his work, and they set monthly challenges - portraits, landscapes, night time etc. They'd compare the results and swap tips etc. Nothing formal but it struck me as a good method of getting used to the various knobs and whistles on their cameras.

ATB

Ogri the trog

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Cheers guys good advice. I know the very basics and already have quite a large collection of photos of plants and animals from my old digi point and shoot but want to get some good shots of wild animals and more and better pictures of our wild plants and landscapes.

Nice one................... thanks

jayuk

Forager
Feb 24, 2005
UK
You can also pick up a lot of info from this site:

http://www.dpreview.com/

There is a D40 forum on the site as well as a samples/gallery forum.

Also charity shops and car boot sales are full of basic photography books.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Thanks chaps thats a good forum jayuk. There's a lot of jargon I don't understand yet like shutter speeds etc. Well I know what a shutter speed is but don't know how to set it or the advantages/disadvantages of them. I'm off work next week so am hugely looking forward to getting out into the countryside for a play...........can't wait, and I've got a lot to learn with my new toy :)

Jan 22, 2006
uk
the people on the Wild About Britain forum can be pretty helpful - there's loads of stuff there to search through in the archives too - and its all geared to photographing wildlife / landscapes etc.

looking fwd to seeing the fruits of your labour :)

i've only got a rubbish camera but i love using it - its amazing what you can get with a bit of imagination (and patience!)
i'm even getting into the phone camera at the mo - great for spur of the moment stuff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE