Developing Observation Skills In The Outdoors?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
I would like to know how do you develop your observation skills in the outdoors.

Are there any methods or exercises you use to develop your observation-so that you are more aware of the surrounding wildlife?

Thanks.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
whenever I'm out walking I try to be aware of things in my peripheral vision and look from side to side instead of just straight ahead; and slow my pace right down and put the emphasis on taking in what's around me rather than covering distance.
For me it makes the whole experience much more enjoyable.

scottisha5

Maker
Nov 14, 2009
Motherwell, Scotland, UK
My two pen'wth would be dont go out on a trip if youve got something on your mind ie fell out with SWMBO, bill just in the door or a bad hangover etc.

Be opened minded and after youve had a look at something interesting have another 3 looks, youll have missed something thats a fact.

atb
John

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I like to just sit and be quiet for a while, take in what's going on around me and then go and check things out, looking for tracks and signs etc. It's interesting to see creatures appearing after you've been sat still for a while.
I visit a badger set occasionally and that requires a silent approach and then plenty of patience before they come out again. There Sitka round there too who are normally really skitish and take off as soon as they see me, give it ten minutes though and they soon come back.
Once you've found these places I find it becomes easier to identify tracks and feeding signs etc.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
if you dont do any shooting try going with some one who does. you will notice there quick reaction time to movement and noise....

also keep an eye out for anything different like shape, shadow, shine, sillowet and movement.

all the above are basic changes you will notice now they have been pointed out.....

hope this helps.......chris....

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
I like to just sit and be quiet for a while, take in what's going on around me and then go and check things out, looking for tracks and signs etc. It's interesting to see creatures appearing after you've been sat still for a while.

Very true Shewie, you reminded me of an experience I had one autumn a couple of years ago on my favourite walking route.
I was sitting on a tree stump having a rest and after a while i could count ten separate squirrels all buzzing about collecting food, you see them a lot up there.
one of them stood up on it's haunches on another tree stump only about ten feet from me, holding an acorn or something in it's front paws, and just sat there staring at me for ages. Was quite bizarre.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Agree with all the previous posters,
One thing to keep in mind is to reduce the fatigue on your eyes by trying to avoid changing focus unnecessarily. When you are searching a landscape for example, sweep your view around the horizon, then the middle ground then the closer distances - all side to side movements, rather than look left close, middle far, then centre close, middle, far then right etc etc - fewer changes of focus of the eye means less fatigue and hence the ability to notice the same levels of detail for longer periods or to notice greater detail for as long.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
try giving a mental running commentry of what you see, you actually see things but they don't register, if you give a running commentry in your head of what you see around you, along the path etc it will sink in more and you will remember more and build on it next time out.

BOD

All good advice but don't be focused and wound up.

Being aware is about being calm, relaxed and open to sense input.

Get excited and your awareness plummets.

Don't go in with other people especially talkative ones.

I like going for a walk with SWMBO in urban areas but can't bear her in the woods. A bush walk is not a social occassion!

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
"We shall see but little way if we require to understand what we see. How few things can a man measure with the tape of his understanding! How many greater things might he be seeing in the meanwhile!"

;)

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Sometimes I'll consciously focus on each of my 5 senses in turn, eg

touch: can I feel a breeze? where is it coming from? etc
smell: you can generally smell when you're around pine trees for example
taste: similar; is there anything in the air?
sound: when you focus, all sorts of little noises start to emerge
sight: eg as described by Ogri above

Works for me!

Basha72

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2006
Torbay
Best thing you can do is get out and about, pick up a few hints and tips from here, but get out in the sticks and take your time you'll soon start to see-hear and smell things many people don't !

Basha

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
as already said don't forget your other senses, it's not all about sight;

stop and Listen, smell the air and see if you can pick out certain smells such as ramsons, feel different leaves and barks and taste.

look up as well as down and just take time to relax and take it in.

Cripes! If you cannot smell ramsons, then give up! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE