Deer Skin Problems

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dorian Gra

May 19, 2005
Isle of Islay
I've recently recive a full pelt of deer hair I put it in the freezer when i recived it as it was still dripping with blood when I recieved it and I was too busy to deal with it. I'm looking for ways of making sure that any ticks or fleas are killed before I put it in my fly tying drawer. Any chemical or websites selling solution would be great. Thanks

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
they normally leave the animal once its dead after a little while.. also i dont think they will have survived the freezer! you should be ok.. give it a shake outside and see what falls out.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Dorian Gra said:
I've recently recive a full pelt of deer hair I put it in the freezer when i recived it as it was still dripping with blood when I recieved it and I was too busy to deal with it. I'm looking for ways of making sure that any ticks or fleas are killed before I put it in my fly tying drawer. Any chemical or websites selling solution would be great. Thanks

The vet will sell you a flea spray or shampoo. Put the hair in a poly bag and squirt into it before fastening it with a freezer clip or just wash in the shanmpoo and dry.. That ought to kill anything.
Cheers,
Toddy

Willowbark

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2005
Stroud, Gloucestershire
I always freeze the deerskins I tan, even if I'm going to work with them more or less immediately, just so as to kill off the crawlers. I've not come across anything still alive after 48 hrs in the deep freeze.

Willowbark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE