Deer identification.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Thanks you guys.
Led. Had already found that page but I wanted to compare Sika deer with Roe and Fallow. It was definatly not a Red or Muntjak, something in between. Suppose really I need a small book with all details of British fauna. Any suggestions.
Ian.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
wanderinstar said:
Thanks you guys.
Led. Had already found that page but I wanted to compare Sika deer with Roe and Fallow. It was definatly not a Red or Muntjak, something in between. Suppose really I need a small book with all details of British fauna. Any suggestions.
Ian.
Ian,

I've used Google Images a few times to help with identification. Fallow are lighter couloured, have palmate (flat type ) antlers and size wise are a lot bigger than Roe. Roes are large dog sized, small spiked antlers. Sika are easy confused (particularly the hinds) ith other species, although the tail is quite distinctive. I find this site useful

http://www.deer-uk.com/sika.htm

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
wanderinstar said:
Thanks for that Red. These deer have been stripping the bark off hazel coppice if that helps I.D. them, or do they all do that?
Ian.
Ceratainly Roe, Red and Fallow all both browse on saplings and bark and tend to abrade bark (ring trees) with their antlers - can't tell you about Sika

Red

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
Hi, Leon
The first bit of advice I'd give you is to edit your post and remove your e-mail address. The last thing you need are the spammers

The people on here will post all the help you need or PM you

Take care

Steve

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
bushcraftbeginer said:
hi i am just getting into bushcraft and i am also looking for how to identify different deers please can someone email me some answers
manythanks leon
Leon,

For deer identification click this link - you can download photos, sounds etc. Its a good resource - hope that helps

Red

http://www.deer-uk.com/Deer.htm

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
HTH Ian ;)

If you figure out how to keep this little lass out of my garden let me know will yah (short of a lead injection - its the wrong season ;) ) .

roedeer.jpg

Rubbish pic but it was nearly dark on Thursday when I saw her

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cos she like my strawberries (and most of the rest of my plants) :)

I'll just plant some more - but she is ringing the apple trees :(

I like her too really. I really ought to bung up some more "garden" piccs - between her, the baby bunnies, hares, squirrels, peregrine, sparrowhawk, buzzards etc. its like Snow Whites bl**** cottage some days ;) No dwarves though :)

Red

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
They recon that if a deer can get its nose over an obsticle it can jump it, a little roe doe like the one you have will need a deer fence about 2meters high, failing that 150grains of lead will do the trick but you will have to wait til 31st oct :AR15firin

Ian

Polestar

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2005
Lewes
wanderinstar said:
Suppose really I need a small book with all details of British fauna. Any suggestions.
Ian.

Ian. Two of the best 'identification' books I've found are the 'Field Guide To British Deer' edited by F.J. Taylor Page (of the British Deer Society), and 'Deer' by Norma Chapman. I find the former particularly useful as it contains information on the different seasons as well as things like 'droppings' and tracks.
David

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
hi red,
Dont they say that human hair keeps deer away either in little pouches on the fence or attached to your head while you bang some pots together
louis

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE