DD tarp to protect a fire? noob question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
OK, so its only a few weeks until I go on my first proper wild camping trip (permission gained etc) and i suddenly thought that I hadn't considered how to protect my fire. We're off to wales so I assume it will rain.

I have a DD 3x3 that I will be fixing over my travel hammock but if i want to protect my campfire how high above do i need to string the tarp so it wont melt/burn?

should i acquire a 2nd cheapo tarp to protect the fire?

there will be 3 of us going so we wont need a roaring fire or anything but something to cook/ sit around in the evening!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You should be ok so long as it's pitched high enough to walk under and you don't have a raging fire but be prepared for sparks going high enough to burn pinprick holes

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
i'd grab a cheapo from wilkies or some other budget store the type used for covering stuff for the purpose for flying embers as Mesquite describes, dam shame to ruin your DD 3x3 on it's first trip out when a £4.99 tarp would have done the job nicely

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
Since the '50's I always used to have a real fire, with never a problem, but there's such reasonable concern about the dangers - serious fires in Scottish Highlands right now because of the amazing weeks of sunshine & little rain we've had so far this year - that for a few years now I've used a home-made rocket stove. When not cooking on it a gauze fits over the chimney = no sparks. Though not quite the same as a real fire, it's safe for us and others, and uses very litle wood.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
A DD tarp will be sensitive to sparks from my experience, I've seen 5 holes appear overnight in a 4x4 from trapped rising sparks! I'd keep the DD well away and use a cheapo near the fire or hang something underneath the DD from the leading edge as a sacrificial liner.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Get your first trip out of the way with a cheapo job.

You could approach Bilmo of these parts for something of an optimum size in canvas if you feel it's essential kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rg598

Native
Yeah, I've had fires under a DD 3x3 tarp, and it has worked out fine (I keep them small), but you are taking a risk of making a hole especially if you are using wet wood.

Keep in mind though, you don't need a fire all the time. You can also maintain a fire in the rain without protection if it is large enough. Just some alternatives to thin about.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE