DD Tarp advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Want to get a slightly bigger tarp. I was looking at the DD tarps.
Does anyone else have one of these? If so, what are they like? What attachment points do they have (particularly, do they have a loop in the centre?)? Good value for money? Waterproof? All those kinds of things.
A general overview and review would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers everyone.

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
The new tarp has been made after points shared from us to dd hammocks, they have redesigned and made a great lightweight tarp with plenty of anchor points. very versitile

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I bought one in the recent group buy (thanks Sandbag!) and whilst it has only been used once, I am well impressed with it.

It packs up to half the size of my USMCpro of the same size, and is a fraction of the weight. It has lots of attachment points around the edge and down the centre where the ridge line goes. These are of the split webbing type (similar to the ones used by Tatonka) and seem well reinforced at the join.

Once up, it is very quiet but have not tested it in rain or strong wind yet. I'm out next weekend and intend to take it with me so I'll take some pictures and let you know how I get on with it.

Simon

Hi Durulz
I got one also from the group buy and have used it 3 or 4 times and the last being at the midlands meet where it was used on the Saturday night which saw medium rain and mild wind.
As SimonM says they are very lightweight and have many setup loops. Obviously they will not be as strong as my issue tarp but at less then half the weight make much more sense imo for carting around. I would opt to use as many guy ropes as possible in windy weather and not rely on only 4 as I have done in the past with my issue tarp. I am very pleased with mine and find the 3mx3m gives me plenty of room underneath for my dd hammock and cooking space.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Cheers guys.
I'm in no immediate rush to get one - thinking of the summer season when I'm going to do a cycling tour!
Simon - I'd appreciate an in-field review, so I'll look forward to your feedback.
Once again, thanks everyone.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have the 3x3 and it does exactly what it says on the tin. There is compromise with the strength to weight thing but for the money you can`t go wrong.

Like Bodge said, I used mine on a fairly exposed location back in November and due to the size of it and the strong winds I ended up pegging out most of the guy points.It stood up well to a good battering though, I reckon 20 - 30mph gusts so not bad for a peice of thin nylon.

The square 3x3 has the advantage of being able to be pitched diagonally too which is useful when the rains near horizontal.

There were issues with the earlier models but DD took these comments on (mostly from on here) and soon put them right. Get one bought, you won`t be dissapointed.

HTH

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I ordered one on Friday and got it today (Tuesday). This was a postal order with a cheque, so that is amazingly impressive service!
The tarp itself is a brilliant item - very happy, and a hearty pat on the back to DD and highly recommended to anyone thinking of ordering from them.
Just need this horrid cold weather to bugger off and Spring to get here now...

D

Deleted member 4605

Haven't got their new tarp, but with the exception of the Tarp 1 I had, I have nothing but good things to say about DD and their gear.

My only problems with the Tarp 1 was the lack of attachment points compared to my other tarp - I found I could only really use it with my hammock, especially after participating in Jed's tarp workshop at the moot.

webmuppet

Tenderfoot
I got a Travel Hammock, Scout Hammock and Tarp (Xmas gifts - no point giving the family choices or else I get jumpers and socks ;)). Arrived within a couple of days even though I didn't order until 17th Dec or so. Well impressed with the service.

Haven't used it in anger yet but I'm tempted towards a night or 2 in the garden...

DSCF0579.JPG

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Cheers guys.
I'm in no immediate rush to get one - thinking of the summer season when I'm going to do a cycling tour!
Simon - I'd appreciate an in-field review, so I'll look forward to your feedback.
Once again, thanks everyone.

Sorry Durulz, I have been laid up with flu (NOT man flu - even SWMBO felt sorry for me!) and didn't get out.

After a week of lying on the sofa, I'm back at work tomorrow cos day time TV is killing me!

Simon

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Hi guys , now I am really confident that I want a good tarp , is the DD 3x3m tarp good and durable ? if something will it fit 2 people ?
Thanks

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
I love mine. Easy big enough for two and it's held up to wind and rain aplenty.

You can also fold it into some great tarp tents. This one was done with a few pegs and a stick and was big enough for me and the wife!

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Yeah they're pretty good although I have had one tear along a tie point. But that was in some pretty extreme wind so I'd say they're just fine unless your bivvying in the mountains in winter :).

009_zps0759314f.jpg

chmusar

Apr 5, 2015
uk
I have the 3m X 3m great bit of kit only issue I had was the pegs and guys that came with it not the best so changed to dyneema lines I have used mine in some silly weather and it has held when no trees around I use Robens tarp poles which are great also and if really windy the poles can be made smaller to bring the tarp down to ground level. But one you won't be dissapointed

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE