DD Hammocks 3mx4.5m tarp review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Hi All,

New tarp coming out of DD Hammocks soon, a nice big one. Full review is here but overall a big tarp in a small package. Construction is almost identical to the current 3x3 lightweight tarp and the quality on this prototype was excellent.

3585202529_c0c06a659c_b.jpg

it's just basically larger but packs down nice and small, it's the middle one here :eek: Andywink tarp on left, and DD 3x3 on right.

3586007222_24b18ba22f_b.jpg

Cheers,

Alan

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
oooo shiny, Like you said in your review, maybe a few more attachment points, but I may do this myself.

Either way, I feel an update from my DD 3x3 coming on. Many Thanks.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Not sure I'd trade in my 3x3 for it, ithe new one is pretty big and does catch the wind, in saying that, I get on fine with my 3x3, your mileage may vary :rolleyes: but it is a cracking group shelter.

I have no idea on pricing but my hope is that DD will keep the price down to a reasonable level. A lot of the big tarps are pricey more because they don't ship the same volumes than they cost twice as much.

Sandbag, a group buy may be a good idea especially if there is a bundle of new products coming out from DD

Cheers,

Alan

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looks like Nick's got them in stock now, good price too at £39 delivered.

Alan you wouldn't happen to remember if they're constructed from one piece of nylon would you ? I'm hoping it's just one rather than two taped together.

ta

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm new to tarps and stuff. This looks good, I definitely want something big enough to be useful, but I have the same concerns as the reviewer about the grade of material. If possible I'd like something a bit thicker that can survive a drag in a bramble. Is there anything anyone can recommend? I've seen some really heavy camo things on Ebay that don't look too good and just have aluminium eyelets in the corners. Or are my concerns unfounded?

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I'm new to tarps and stuff. This looks good, I definitely want something big enough to be useful, but I have the same concerns as the reviewer about the grade of material. If possible I'd like something a bit thicker that can survive a drag in a bramble. Is there anything anyone can recommend? I've seen some really heavy camo things on Ebay that don't look too good and just have aluminium eyelets in the corners. Or are my concerns unfounded?

Andywinkk does tarps, have a look at the thread he put up, i've got one of his and it's first rate mate. :D They are not camo either, mine's a nice shade of brown.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

From experience I've found the DDs to be up to the task no problem. There are cotton alternatives like the Tatonkas but obviously they are quite a bit heavier and not really suited to tramping, more for canoeing and car camping. The cotton versions will stand up to sparks from the fire better but I think a tug on a bramble will still damage it. In theory you'd clear your campsite of nasty spikey things before putting up your roof anyway so you should get plenty of good service from a DD.

Andywink makes some tasty heavyweight gear so maybe give him a shout if you fancy something more substantial.

EDIT:

Must type faster, Andy beat me to it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE