DD hammock lightweight tarp review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Hi All,

Already been a couple of reviews of this kit on here but here's my take. The full spiel is over in the blogg section here but in summary I compared it against the older DD tarp2;

I like the old tarp2, I like it a lot, I like the heavier weight, I like the almost complete lack of wind noise and I like being able to run the tarp line under the tarp so I don't need a utility line. The new one is better, I don't normally travel light, (car or canoe camper) but it would be a real benefit, I appreciate the size saving if anything. The tabs are much better constructed too, time will tell how strong they are but I suspect they'll be fine. I can't really pick fault with it, but I've not slept under it yet!! The only thing I would maybe add would be 2 extra rows of 3 suspension loops on the top third horizontal and bottom third horizontal of the tarp. This would give more options but you can do this anyway by routing the tarp line under the tarp but it would help in blowy, wet weather if you wanted to close it down by routing the tarp line corner to corner at the moment it would only be suspended by the centre loop and the 2 corners. Minor gripe and to be honest it'd be the same for the tarp 2 albeit the tarp line would be under the tarp.

All in all a good successor to the tarp 2, I personally would have liked the new tarp to be of the heavier material but that would mean sacrificing the weight and size saving but the attachments are much better than the old tarp2. It's a great price too, you can pay more than twice as much for a tarp this size but for the price I think it's a winner, now if only they made something about 4.5x3..

Cheers,

Alan

G

goshow

I've got one of these and i agree with the majority of the points above, However, when rated next to a Tatonka Tarp 2 tc the tatonka wins hands down everytime. They're a similar size, infact, i'm convinced the DD is a copy of the tatonka even down to the name of the thing.

The main problem i found with the DD was the build quality. When synching up the tension on the ridge line the end loops ripped clean out of the lugs. It was the stitching that let it down and it wasn't just mine either, my mates did exactly the same. We both sent them back to DD and they were great with sending out a replacement BUT the replacement did exactly the same thing. 4 tarps - 4 exactly the same problems. You cna get by because a simple sheetbend will solve the problem.

My advice, stay clear of them and buy a Tatonka.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
hi goshow,

thanks for your input, are you talking about the older tarp2 or the new lightweight tarp you had problems with?? I heard about the problems on the tarp 2 with these guys coming away but nothing about the new one. Was it these that failed?

2995311003_0e2db7e080_b.jpg

Thanks again for the clarification,

Cheers,

Alan

G

goshow

Hi Alan,
Sorry, it was the old tarp 2. Didn't realise they had brought out a new one.

Hopefully they have rectified the old problems.

Also, that's a different way of hanging a ridgeline for your tarp, I've never seen it done like that before. Do you get any problems with water seaping through the tarp onto the ridgeline, or with drips when it rains?

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Thanks for clearing that up I was a wee bit worried there ;)

As for water, nope check the blog link, "Water could seep along and drip on you but never had that happen yet, tends to drip of at the edge AP before it wicks along."

Cheers,

Alan

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
I've got one of these and i agree with the majority of the points above, However, when rated next to a Tatonka Tarp 2 tc the tatonka wins hands down everytime. They're a similar size, infact, i'm convinced the DD is a copy of the tatonka even down to the name of the thing.

The main problem i found with the DD was the build quality. When synching up the tension on the ridge line the end loops ripped clean out of the lugs. It was the stitching that let it down and it wasn't just mine either, my mates did exactly the same. We both sent them back to DD and they were great with sending out a replacement BUT the replacement did exactly the same thing. 4 tarps - 4 exactly the same problems. You cna get by because a simple sheetbend will solve the problem.

My advice, stay clear of them and buy a Tatonka.

hi goshow..check the group buy i just finished it has some pics of the new tarp..it is completly different from the old ones

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've got one of the new DD lightweight tarps, and it is excellent quality. It kept me dry and draught-free, and there was no problem at all with the stitching :)

I`ll second that Womble, mines been used in anger for quite a while now and it`s not let me down yet. Great bit of kit and reasonably lightweight too.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
i'd go for the one with the net they have a new design out now with pocket on the inside and made of waterproof material ....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE