Dartmoor Meetup - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I'd love a copy if that's not too much bother too please!

Thanks!

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
K just checked diary, I'll definately be there although I'll probably be slightly comatose as I'll probably drive down straight after a night shift.... may book the night off yet (slightly short on holiday this year after booking a month in Australia this november :-D ).

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Sounds like an idea. I'll have to check, could I turn up for a bit?

Cheers,

Jake

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Yep it's still a go'er, I'll be getting there on the 28th March quite early in the morning so we should have most of friday all day saturday and most of sunday to do stuff. Looking forward to meeting some of you. :biggthump

jakunen

Native
Hmm, sounds like it could be good. We could each draw up a list of our relevant skills and 'trade'. If I'm free I'll see if I can get down...
As for otters, only seen one in the wild, think it was either an escapee from a wildlife park or released one. Cheeky little bugger took a roach I'd just caught straight out of my hand... :-o

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I think Otter numbers have risen quite well this last few years, with a gradual spread into parts of the country where they had died out. The one you saw probably was genuine wild. I'll need to dig out an article I read afew years ago to look at how far they've got, but I'm sure the Thames was mentioned.

jakunen

Native
They definitely are in the Upper Thames and some of it tributaries.
I was just VERY surprised at the location of the one I found and how bloody cheeky/lazy it was...which is why I assumed it was a released one from one of the local breeding prgrammes.

J

Jamie

Otters, after many years of being 'confined' to Cornwall, Wales and Scotland are making a resounding comeback. They are progressively moving eastwards (from Cornwall) and have been sighted close to London.

As you say they are cheeky blighters and the myth of their solitude is, perhaps just that, a myth - now that numbers are reaching higher levels otters now have greater competition in the wild and they will start to be seen more frequently. They have been sighted in cities (Bristol for example) as well which just goes to show that they arent the solitude seeking animal we all think of!

Although numbers are growing, there is, naturally an almost equal number of untimely deaths (namely crossing roads etc) which many people are trying to stop either by creating otter crossings or trying to keep them the water courses by building tracks up and over weirs etc.

There is a great deal we do not know about otters and only surmise what they get up to as there has been little done in the way of tracking of the mainland animals, but as time passes and they become more 'common' this will hopefully change.

They really are one of the most beautiful creatures in my mind and when you see 2 otters playing in the wild you can see that they have a great sense of humour and mischievousness!

If you want any more info on otters then drop me a line!

All the best

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Nice one Jamie, thanks for that. Do you know if there are any otters around the Dartmoor area ?
Maybe if people are interested we could try and find some during the meet-up. I'd be thrilled to see one.
Jakunen - Good idea about which skills people have. If people don't mind, maybe we could get a few workshops going on. I've already mentioned I don't claim to be an expert on anything, but would be happy to do a bit on Navigation if there are any people who have little or no knowledge at all on this, and also Bow drill, again for anyone who has never had success, I'd be happy to pass on anything I know. I'm really looking forward to this meet-up and meeting all the BCUK Folk. The Cockingford Campsite location is a cracker for anyone who dosn't know it. It should be a great few days :super:

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I'd be interested in any info people there are prepared to give about edible plants, and would be very happy to give an evening workshop on the inbibing of "Monks Delight" spiced Cider...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE