Dark green linen thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi folks
for reasons I won't bother you with I need some light weight ( hand sewing of clothes) dark green linen thread for a project I've started as a distraction. Enough to sew a long waistcoat together and sew the lining into it and do about 20 button holes. I'm in a bit of a hurry, haven't found any on the net so thought I'd ask here.

atb and thnks!

Tom

Hi folks
for reasons I won't bother you with I need some light weight ( hand sewing of clothes) dark green linen thread for a project I've started as a distraction. Enough to sew a long waistcoat together and sew the lining into it and do about 20 button holes. I'm in a bit of a hurry, haven't found any on the net so thought I'd ask here.

atb and thnks!

Tom

To get the right match to your garments it's probably best to visit your local haberdashery. The supermarkets do cheap thread in a variety of colours but a local department store or haberdashery will have nice, stronger thread such as Gutermann or Coats. Minerva do online threads otherwise.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry Tom, I've just seen this thread (hah, pun ! :rolleyes: )

I have linen thread, I think three shades of green, I'll have a burrow. It's some of the Knox's stuff I thin, but there's also a cop of thread meant for weaving. I sew with it, but I ply and wax it first. Happy to send some down if you'd like to try it out ?

atb,
M

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I maybe able to get out tomorrow so ill see what the localish shops have.

Mary, it's to match that dark green Melton wool you sent me way back when. There's was plenty to cut out the outer part of a big fat git sized 1750s style sleavleess waistcoat. I've sewn the natural coloured linen lining together and the hidden seams on the wool outer using natural coloured linen thread. I'm in the process of pinning then basting the turned in edges, I know I could just cut the wool to size and leave the edges raw but I'd rather fold it over in case I have to unpick and adjust. I mainly need the right coloured green thread for sewing the pocket flaps on and doing the umpteen button holes. Since I'm very rusty I'd rather have thread that didn't show up my mistakes so much.

ATB

Tom

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, I don't have anything quite so dark as that :sigh: I've sent you a link to an ebay seller who has a really good selection of linen thread (and have a look at his tablet braids :D) but I think his are still too light.

Ian D's here tomorrow (we're sewing kilts and drafting patterns for Waterloo Highlander's jackets) and I'll ask what he has.

atb,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It was :) he's got a cannon, and we're making a entire new set of uniforms for Waterloo dates. He still has the old muskets though so black-powder-is-him :)

M

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well that was farcical. I went round the three closest towns and none of the likely shops had linen or even plain cotton button thread. That included the huge arts and crafts shop in Ramsbottom.

I'll have to mail order some which will slow it down some. I can use the natural coloured stuff for doing the collar and armholes as it will be only going through the folded over bit of th wool. The lining is going to be set back a mill or so from the edge of the wool.

Still I came back with a £3 bag of rusty tools to restore so not all bad.

atb

tom

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Dk green cotton buttonhole thread I can do. I have BonneyCorp and Knox's. Shall I wrap some around a flat bobbin and send it down for you to have a looksee ?
I think I've got seven reels left of that dark green.

atb,
Mary

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I wrapped two bobbins with the Bonneycorp thread; it's the darkest one I have; and put them into an envelope. Should be under the 5mm for an ordinary stamp. It'll go into the postbox tomorrow morning.

atb,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE