Dark age meet up?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Thinking of making some clothing, and wondered..
When the weather turns wet, would people depend on a woolen tunic or have a leather tunic oiled, to go over the top. If so would it be long sleeve. Having trouble finding info on the various sites mentioned.
Take it it depended on your status in the dark ages?

Cheers.

Addo.

There is very little evidence for leather clothing.

That may be because it wasn't used, it just didn't survive or the material was reused somehow.

As with all reconstructions we look to the evidence first and then apply a touch of common sense but at least the evidence can be trusted to some extent.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I'd be interested :D Although I don't have any kit... If you could see your way to linking to some patterns or a kit list, that would be lovely :)

It's a heck of a long drive up there for me though. I'll have to confirm closer to the date.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
When the weather turns wet, would people depend on a woolen tunic or have a leather tunic oiled, to go over the top. If so would it be long sleeve.

I think the general consensus for most early periods when it rains is either, put up with getting wet or throw a blanket over your head and shoulders as in a cape. Don't forget that early woven blankets may well have been spun and woven with wool which still had much of the natural lanolin in it, as were wool tunics Modern wool gets treated in such a way that the lanolin is completely removed and so would get soaked within minutes of it raining. Not so in the early periods. If your cape or blanket has lanolin still within it's make up it will shed water for quite a long time before getting wet, snow even longer.

Toddy might correct me if I am wrong, but a bath full of warm water and a whole bottle of cheap un-perfumed fabric conditioner added, and the wool items given a good dunking, squeeze out by hand then dried flat should replace enough lanolin to emulate the showerproof values of the traditional garments during rainy times.

Eric

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Cheers Eric, thats great thanks. Been bugging me. Watching recent Viking films (prob not authentic) thay all had blanket capes on in the rain. I'll go ahead and make a woolen tunic and blanket cloak, trying the conditioner method.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've got some stuff from when I was in the Army, my last unit enjoyed dressing up all the time! I tried to go for reasonably made kit for my costume as I don't like tacky plastic swords and cardboard breast plates, etc! I've got woven cotton trousers that look like a coarse yarn in brown and also a woven cloak, shirt wise I've got a green linen shirt with that cross tied neck thingy you always see in the films! No idea if it is authentic, I might dig it out and take some pics to show the Proffessionals, but please don't laugh if it is bonk!

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I've got some stuff from when I was in the Army, my last unit enjoyed dressing up all the time! I tried to go for reasonably made kit for my costume as I don't like tacky plastic swords and cardboard breast plates, etc! I've got woven cotton trousers that look like a coarse yarn in brown and also a woven cloak, shirt wise I've got a green linen shirt with that cross tied neck thingy you always see in the films! No idea if it is authentic, I might dig it out and take some pics to show the Proffessionals, but please don't laugh if it is bonk!

I think you'd look rather nice in a french maids outfit Spam:D

Bernie

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
well there is a gallery here at a dark ages society
http://www.darkagessociety.co.uk/gallery.html

Ebay proves a disappointment with this being the main viking/darkages wear
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ladies-fancy-dress-PERKY-VIKING-CONES-COSTUME-10-12_W0QQitemZ300256835613QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300256835613&_trkparms=72%3A1295|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

xylaria

We have 3 or 4 pairs of trews, one or two them are seriously itchy. We can lend out the odd pair. Unless you get caught out in absolute pouring rain wool kit evan without being greasy is pretty weather proof. you only feel cold in it if you get very very wet and are wearing cotton under it. If you undergarment is linen instead supposedly the cold doesn't get in at all. I certainly haven't never felt cold in wool despite getting wet.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Good old Dark age advice about staying dry when it's raining.

Stay inside the house.

village1.jpg

Wayland

Hárbarðr
There are 11 habitable buildings including the longhouse on the village.

There is some available over spill space on other parts of the site but I would prefer to keep it to the village if we can.

Most of the buildings will accommodate a couple of people, some a small family unit.

The longhouse can accommodate several bodies, but hiding space for non authentic kit is limited. It would be nice to use the Longhouse as a central meeting space in the evenings as well so people staying in there would need to be aware of that fact.

Accommodation varies from a double bed in the longhouse to mostly simple wooden bench spaces that can also be slept on.

All habitable buildings have a dry roof, doors, shutters and a small fireplace.

Depending on the condition of the building upon arrival some minor repairs may be needed, to fill holes in the wattle and daub for example.

Total numbers will depend upon how much gear we need to borrow and also who is prepared to share buildings.

Debbie and myself will occupy one central building, the "Grubenhouse".

The site can provide some costume and some cooking equipment. I also have some gear I can lend out.

We will probably have to give some priority to people with their own gear but I want to make this an introduction for other people too.

You will need, sleeping kit which will have to be hidden away during the day, inconspicuous footwear, and for the lads at least some authentic looking trousers.

Girls, I don't have a problem with you wearing men's kit but you may have to explain it to the public if they ask about it.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I was once asked by a school kid, "When did the World start being in colour?"

She had only ever seen black and white photos of the past and thought it was the World that had changed.....:D

I hope you quickly removed her from the gene pool with the sword! :togo:

Ok I was looking up iron age shoes, most seem to be sandal types, which it might be pretty cold for. Im not entirely sure what appropriate footware would look like. Im eager to make a pair of shoes, Ive felt like it for some time, but Im not entirely sure how Id do it. I have a pair of leather soles I cut out a while back, I could stitch soft leather on top but I suspect that would make for a very weak hem around the sole, likely to come undone.

xylaria

I am getting quite excited about this.

I came across about 3kg of irish wool in a charity shop on friday only cost a fiver, and have started to naalbind up some socks.

We have quite a few natural colour wool blankets we can lend out to anyone (who not smelly)for sleeping,. We are more than happy sharing dwellings with others, we can all fit on a double bed and hay bail , it all sounds pretty luxurious.

i can't think of big modern kit that would need to be hidden. Toothpaste, pitrock and those drugs (coffee baccy painkillers) are easy to stash, other stuff can look authentic. Am i missing out on some thing obvious?

I have done hurdle making, and clay, turf & grass daubing.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Nonononononononoooooooooooo
Not febuary im halfway reound the world and ive already started making kit and everthing how about late march eh eh eh eh pleeeese

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE