Damsons and crab apples

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I know where theres plenty and I have little use for them myself.

when they are ready does anyone want to come and pick some??

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
Hey Tengu, where in Wilts are you?

We like picking wild food, the damsons would be nice.

I wen tout last night to a local hazel wood, loads of nuts (including us two ;) ) but not ready yet. Also found a couple of chestnut trees so will revisit them too.

Axe Catcher

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2006
The Wilds of Stratford-upon-Avon!
crazydave said:
damson and crab apple jelly or sloe/damson gin :)

weve got loads of pear, sloe, plum and walnut trees near me.

Mmm, I'm in Swindon too, green tomato chutney is made, also just made the years first batch of crabapple jelly, very nice too. I think I'll be sloe picking next week and then doing damson jam when those ripen too.

Not long now..... *drool

AC

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
At the weekend we had crab apple, blackberry and elderberry crumble.....Lovely :D We had it a couple of days before as well...all washed down with some elderflower cordial.

I'm waiting for some nuts to come out and there's some wild plums to keep an eye on :cool:

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Just been given a couple of big bags of damsons, probably going to make at least 1 demijon of Damson Gin, but that leaves me with 4 demijons... Was thinking of some wine, never tried it before. I'm assuming I need bungs and air locks. Any recommendations for a source of these, several sites on the web, which one?

Also what recipes do you people use and and which yeasts to go for.

And the lady at work looked surprised when she asked if anyone would be interested in damsons... probably the fact that I took the entire bag and enquried about more :rolleyes:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Tony said:
At the weekend we had crab apple, blackberry and elderberry crumble.....Lovely :D We had it a couple of days before as well...all washed down with some elderflower cordial.

I'm waiting for some nuts to come out and there's some wild plums to keep an eye on :cool:
That sounds nice Tony, we have a crab apple in our front garden and its always loaded. Do you need any special preparation with crab apples for the crumble as they are very sharp (taste wise). Do you just add more sugar or just chuck it all in together............

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
Lithril said:
Just been given a couple of big bags of damsons, probably going to make at least 1 demijon of Damson Gin, but that leaves me with 4 demijons... Was thinking of some wine, never tried it before. I'm assuming I need bungs and air locks. Any recommendations for a source of these, several sites on the web, which one?

Also what recipes do you people use and and which yeasts to go for.

And the lady at work looked surprised when she asked if anyone would be interested in damsons... probably the fact that I took the entire bag and enquried about more :rolleyes:

You could try asking for demijons on www.freecycle.org you may get lucky !!
I've had various things from people and also gave stuff away as well :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE