damascus outdoors knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Very nice hellize ! hope you don't mind but.....I have been pondering! wonder if you could help? I'm going to do a brass bolster on my cleaver but only have 30mm bar so was going to forge it as I need more width, I was thinking to take it up to cherry red then beat it, any pointers? as I have not tried forging brass.

hellize

Maker
Jun 26, 2017
transylvania
Very nice hellize ! hope you don't mind but.....I have been pondering! wonder if you could help? I'm going to do a brass bolster on my cleaver but only have 30mm bar so was going to forge it as I need more width, I was thinking to take it up to cherry red then beat it, any pointers? as I have not tried forging brass.
Thanks! :)
Actually I have no idea, never tried it, sorry.
But I have read somewhere, that it behaves opposite to steel, so if you quench it it becomes softer, and when you hammer it, it will harden with each blow.
However this is not at cherry red, but at lower temps. At cherry, it might be forgeable.
Try it any way, but be careful not to melt it ;)

hellize

Maker
Jun 26, 2017
transylvania
thanks Hellize! y'know if I get it hot enough to smelt I'll just make a sand core mold instead!
Well, you would be surprised how easily copper melts ;) It needs only about 1000 celsius. This kind of heat can be easily achieved in a decent forge, since it is barely enough for forgewelding steel. When I make damascus, I am constantly on the lookout like a hawk, not to accidentally melt my billet away.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE