Dachstein Wool sweaters and mittens

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leatherneck

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2005
U.S.
Anyone know a good source for the boiled wool sweaters and mittens from Dachstein? I know the Austrian army used to make boiled wool pullovers but I can't find any sources. I guess these were about the warmest sweaters ever made.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Technically felting is done from loose fibres, fleece, while the boiled wool is historically called Fulled Wool.

If you full a knitted garment it won't shrink beyond a certain point, it stablises. While felting can go on down until the piece is so small it can't be flexed properly as a garment.

It's really just different properties of the fleece, or the yarn or the 'cloth'.

It's the same process, making fibres interlock and shrink together; but if wool is agitated or subjected to movement and pressure while in hot soapy water, it will felt. Left undisturbed or gently sappled in hot water will full it not shrink it so far.

cheers,
Toddy

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Technically felting is done from loose fibres, fleece, while the boiled wool is historically called Fulled Wool.

If you full a knitted garment it won't shrink beyond a certain point, it stablises. While felting can go on down until the piece is so small it can't be flexed properly as a garment.

It's really just different properties of the fleece, or the yarn or the 'cloth'.

It's the same process, making fibres interlock and shrink together; but if wool is agitated or subjected to movement and pressure while in hot soapy water, it will felt. Left undisturbed or gently sappled in hot water will full it not shrink it so far.

cheers,
Toddy

In Norway we use a blend of these methods it seems. It is called "toving" (or "tøving" in my dialect:)) .
The knitted item (mostly socks and mittens) is dipped in soapy water and rubbed against a special wooden board (something like a old fasioned washing board).
The end product is very warm.

Tor

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.

cheers,
Toddy

Is there a rule of thumb to gauge how much to "oversize" the garment in order to reach the desired final size Toddy?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE