Cutting combo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DISCO

Aug 18, 2004
SCOTLAND
Hi, was wondering what your cutting combo for the woods is. i imagine most of you have a scandi,gb axe and folding saw.Anybody take anything a little or very different on their outings.any pictures would be very welcome.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
A Fallkniven F1, a Bahco Laplander saw and a Victorinox Bantam for the bottle opener, tweezers and toothpick.
I generally don't take an axe because I'd probably injure myself as I usually drink when in the woods.

DISCO

Aug 18, 2004
SCOTLAND
nice picture Steven is that some sort of bill hook in the middle.i wouldn't fancy wielding that with or without a drink.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
Yes, it's a Newton Billhook. I sharpened it with a Sharpmaker and it is shave-sharp along the whole edge. Quite scary.
It doesn't get many outings as I haven't got a sheath for it yet.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
It appears that the billhook has a stick tang and if so, you may want to take care in how it's used. For instance, heavy chopping could loosen the blade or crack the handle, putting you or another user in danger of injury.

One of my tools is illegal in the UK, so my listing of the tool here, is not a recommendation of use.

At the present time, my chopping tool is a WWII Khukuri and for lite chopping, it is an excellent tool. I have ordered a Wetterlings hunters axe and if and when it gets here, it will replace the khukuri, giving me a tool better designed for heavier wood working and it isn't much heavier than the Khuk.

BRKTs NorthStar is my primary fixed blade. But I also carry a Mora 2000 on occassion and have a Frost SwAK that rides in a bag in the truck. An Eriksson Mora carbon military is on it's way with the axe and will see a lot of use, then will be placed in a ruck.

My "have on me daily" knife is a Victorinox Hunter lockblade SAK w/saw. It handles all of the very lite wood chores and kitchen chores, etc. Many don't like using a folding knife for food duty, but I see no difference in cleaning a fixed blade or the blade of a folder.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
RovingArcher said:
It appears that the billhook has a stick tang and if so, you may want to take care in how it's used. For instance, heavy chopping could loosen the blade or crack the handle, putting you or another user in danger of injury.

One of my tools is illegal in the UK, so my listing of the tool here, is not a recommendation of use.

At the present time, my chopping tool is a WWII Khukuri and for lite chopping, it is an excellent tool. I have ordered a Wetterlings hunters axe and if and when it gets here, it will replace the khukuri, giving me a tool better designed for heavier wood working and it isn't much heavier than the Khuk.

BRKTs NorthStar is my primary fixed blade. But I also carry a Mora 2000 on occassion and have a Frost SwAK that rides in a bag in the truck. An Eriksson Mora carbon military is on it's way with the axe and will see a lot of use, then will be placed in a ruck.

My "have on me daily" knife is a Victorinox Hunter lockblade SAK w/saw. It handles all of the very lite wood chores and kitchen chores, etc. Many don't like using a folding knife for food duty, but I see no difference in cleaning a fixed blade or the blade of a folder.
Which is illegal? :confused:

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Paul Baker "New Graduate" fixed blade knife, Sandvik / Bahco Laplander saw (the orange version), Opinel No 8. Inox, plus an optional Lifeventure KFS - I do kinda like to have a stainless knife that's strictly used for food only to cut down on cross-contamination risks.

I don't carry an axe or hatchet - I make do with battoning. Sure, an axe is a great tool to have, but not if I'm carrying it. :) Not being a car owner, I always pack on the assumption that I'm putting all of my gear on my back and walking with it.

Mind you, that's for the Scottish landscape - mixed woodland and dense spruce plantations. If I were in sub-arctic conifer forest I probably would carry an axe.

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
clipper said:
Drugs, paying for woman and speeding :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Try the thread below!

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=8233

damn that means the buck 110 that i carry daily and have done for years makes me a criminal :aargh4: :aargh4: :aargh4: funny tho as ive had police officers walking behind me when its been on the back of my belt and have never mentioned it? probly looks and age have a lot to do with it. before ya awll chastise me for being in public with it I use it on a daily basis andits so much a part of me that i dont give it a thought about having on my person..its my knife,phillips screwdriver,wirecutter,wirestripper ,hammer, you name it ,it gets used for it

on second thoughts don't!! i dread to think what suggestions you guys would come up with :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

tom

If im shelter building or heavier work ill take this,its not let me down yet. :)
knife.jpg
[/IMG]
ive also skinned fox, , and squirrel with it.... {all road kills by the way}.works for me..

DISCO

Aug 18, 2004
SCOTLAND
nice to see your stuff guys.i take a helpmate folding saw i got for £4.99 from lidl a becker knife & tool neck knife and an ontario spec plus survival machette.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE