Curing a cast iron pot?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
I got a lovely 4.5 quart cast iron pot from my partner for Christmas, but before I use it I was after some advice: What is the best way to oil cure it? I want to get it right as I've used a decent oil cured skillet in the past and it was fantastic.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Patrick

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
This is what I did; I gave mine a good scrub in hot water with washing up liquid, dried it quickly and put into a 50 degree oven to dry out and warm up. Rub with lard (yes, lard!) and bake it, upside down, in the oven by putting the temp up to 225/250 for a couple of hours - the pot will go brown and glaze. Remove from oven, let it cool down a bit, re-cover with lard and bake it again. repeat a couple more times until black(ish). It'll now be nonstick and generally rustproof (mine is kept in a small shed and has not got one spot on it despite a damp autumn, winter.). Needless to say, it shouldn't ever see detergent again... :D

You'll want the extractor fan on and a window open - I wait till SWMBO was out for the day... ;)

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Squidders said:
pork belly fat is (I have heard) the best... heat the pan up and roll/mush the fat around.
Yah, I agree with this treatment. I used it following a recommendation for my new Dutch oven last year. Worked a treat. Don't eat the pork belly fat though, even though it does smell delicious! :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've been using CI for (coughs) years.

Two tips,

One, scour well before use with a nylon scourer, rubber gloves, dtergent and the hottest water you can stand. It does remove any wax and film before curing which is vital.

Use oil, not fat, really. When new, your cast iron will be rough to touch, fat is hard to get even and will run and puddle. Use vegetable oil. Apply a very thin coat with a brush or cloth and bake at a low oven temperature for an hour. Take out and let cool. Repeat at least four times (after the first you will see some brown areas and some grey - where the oil hasn't been even - focus on these next time but keep it thin). Its like painting glos paint - thin coats and lots of them. 4 to 6 coats later do a couple of fry jobs first - fatty bacon and onions or something. Then you are good to go. Just rinse after use - never scour, never use harsh detergents

My views

red

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Always interesting to see different ways from different folk - I totally agree, you must scrub off the wax first. Hot water, detergent and nylon scourer are required.

I was always taught to use animal fat (lard) as veg oil can remain sticky and go rancid. That said, I've never tried it! :rolleyes: :D

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
normal veg oil and plenty of salt bring it to a heat making sure every bit is coted

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
My favorite cure is to pop popcorn in it. Pour in the oil. Get it hot. Add popcorn. Pop popcorn. Wipe it out each time. Do it for a week or two. Don't wash. Bob's yer uncle. Works for steel woks too. ;)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
The advice I got from a professional chef was to apply a light coating of oil, the salt it, then smoke it over a gas burner for an hour or so...

Hawk Hawkins

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2005
Tennessee, US
I scald and scrub with mild soap and water. I have been known to use a fine wet dry sandpaper if theres any rust. Old timers here would burn theres in a fire or near a fire...just be careful to not overheat one and get it red hot it runs the risk of cracking or warping. I then rinse it and let it dry in a warm oven. Wipe it with a vegatable shortening covered paper towel and bake for 2 hours in a 325 degree oven. Then let it sit overnight in the oven to cool.
Hawk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE