Cured skins, some i've done and some available to do

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tyla

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2006
Sussex, UK
Ive not seen anyone curing skins on here. I have done a few deer and fox skins, they make very nice rugs.

I have also got several sheeps skins that i want to do but im struggling to find time. They are available to swap if anybody fancies a go? I can give a rough guide of how to do it if anyones interested?

Still not got photobucket so no pics im afraid

Tyla

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2006
Sussex, UK
Not quite southey, the skins i've done (mainly deer but fox and rabbit too) i used a curing method rather than tanning. The skins are soaked and scraped, allowed to dry slightly then stretched onto a plastic covered board. They are then treated with a mixture of bicarb and diesel, this dries, is scraped off and repeated after three days and then again if necessary. You end up with a very clean pale skin that can either be worked to make supple or left slightly stiff to use as a rug.

If you fancy giving it a go i have the skins and the bicarb, you'll have to buy your own diesel though!

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Not quite southey, the skins i've done (mainly deer but fox and rabbit too) i used a curing method rather than tanning. The skins are soaked and scraped, allowed to dry slightly then stretched onto a plastic covered board. They are then treated with a mixture of bicarb and diesel, this dries, is scraped off and repeated after three days and then again if necessary. You end up with a very clean pale skin that can either be worked to make supple or left slightly stiff to use as a rug.

If you fancy giving it a go i have the skins and the bicarb, you'll have to buy your own diesel though!

Wow! diesel? I've used brains, brains and egg, egg on it's own and egg and soap, but never heard of bicarb and diesel. Is there a book that describes this technique?

Most interested.

Eric

Tyla

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2006
Sussex, UK
I dont know if theres a book, it was shown to me by a friend whos been doing it for years. He make some really beautiful skins. If i could put pics up i'd show you the ones i've done, his are better though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE