CRKT Stiff Kiss - help spotting a fake!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Hi all,

I've always hankered after a drop-point CRKT Stiff Kiss after reading about them on here (I think), years ago. So I easily got suckered in to take advantage of my daughter's new US address and successfully bid for one on US Ebay. Then, I did the research I should have done earlier and discovered that there are a lot of poor fakes around. I suspect that's what I've bought, though it has not yet arrived. Can anyone advise me what to look out for or post a photo' of the real thing so I can compare mine to it, please?

Thanks for any help or advice,

Ted W

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
If it's a fake, and not advertised as a 'reproduction' etc, then you've lost nothing. You will get your money back via Ebay rules.

What exactly leads you to think it isn't genuine?

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
The Stiff Kiss has been out of production so long that CRKT don't show it on their site. They do warn about counterfeits being suspiciously cheap - and that's my concern. Maybe what I thought was a bargain, isn't! At least the one I'm getting is ground on both sides;some of the fakes are flat on the back. But I'd still like the reassurance of being able to compare it to a genuine article.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Excuse the iPad quality pics but here's mine bought back when they were still in production. I have the plastic belt fittings still somewhere. I carried it as a back up knife for many a year but through lack of use fell out of the habit.

imagejpg1_zps49a8ea26.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsaa562fcd.jpg

Ill dig out a real camera and fire up the PC if you need better quality

atb

Tom

PS here the thread with what replaced it as back up, a neck peck with a cut down sheath, weighs practically nowt.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55277

Last edited:

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Thanks Tombear. Your knife looks quite different to the one I'm getting, from the eBay photos, but could it be an old pattern? The sheath has a square top, too, rather than the cut out yours has, but so do some of the Stiff Kiss knives on Google images.

The knife has now arrived with my daughter so I'll get her inspect it as best she can and to take some decent photo's for comparison purposes.

Thanks, again.

TedW

CRKT

Jul 29, 2014
Oregon
Hi Ted,

I stumbled upon this thread and figured you deserve a clear answer from us. We discontinued the Stiff K.I.S.S. several years back, but you can find the original in different secondary markets from time to time. Additionally, we have a deal with Big 5 where they buy the Stiff K.I.S.S. in two budget varieties directly from us:

http://www.big5sportinggoods.com/pr...-306895/crkt-stiff-kiss-drop-point-knife.html
http://www.big5sportinggoods.com/pr...rkt-stiff-kiss-tanto-semi-serrated-knife.html

The knife design is the same, but the sheath and handle wrap has changed slightly. If you buy directly from Big 5, you can rest assured it's not a counterfeit.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,

Ben
CRKT Digital Marketing Coordinator.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I have indeed had it a long time, can't remember exactly how long now to be honest. I know Ed Halligan made some before Columbia River started making them.

im thinking of cutting the sheath down like I did for the neck peck.

ATB

Tom

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Hi all,

I've always hankered after a drop-point CRKT Stiff Kiss after reading about them on here (I think), years ago. So I easily got suckered in to take advantage of my daughter's new US address and successfully bid for one on US Ebay. Then, I did the research I should have done earlier and discovered that there are a lot of poor fakes around. I suspect that's what I've bought, though it has not yet arrived. Can anyone advise me what to look out for or post a photo' of the real thing so I can compare mine to it, please?

Thanks for any help or advice,

Ted W

How about a link to the actual knife you purchased - even if it's a finished sale we should be able to see the original listing so pics would help.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
Last edited:

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I have seen the same knife for sale on German websites, they did do other versions than tanto and modified drop - the Neck Peck for example and black bladed versions and the Stiff KISS sheath does not always have a cutaway for the choil ( although the one for my almost 20 year old tanto blade does ). However, what does seem off is the back of the sheath. As far as I'm aware the sheaths, with or without cutouts, all had dual mounting points for the belt clip so it could be carried in a blade up or down position. Also my belt clip is stamped with the CRKT logo and is not drilled and the screws are black with allen key slots. As far as I'm aware all CRKT knives are engraved with the appropriate model number.

I did a quick search for fake CRKT knives and found this

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/304912-CRKT-Halligan-Serrated-Stiff-Kiss-Hunting-Knife

Note the dodgy belt clip and screws on that one also

Last edited:

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Yep, pretty sure I've been a bit naive and got suckered in! Hopefully, CRKT will give me the definitive answer and I'll get my money back.

Thanks, brambles.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
One thing more, the box it came in, and all the other CRKT knives we got at the time ( the neck peck and the folding versions of the KISS and PECK and another fixed blade I forget the name of ) were really sturdy and well made from corrugated cardboard with a fold up lid. Herself still stores the folding peck in its box the best part of 20 yars later.

still you may have. Perfectly good user if they didn't skimp on the steel.

atb

tom

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
There appears to be a new post 7 from CRKT themselves in the thread that was'nt there yesterday? Maybe it's been hidden whilst new account was pending?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE