Cramp Balls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
These are growing on the Ash in the garden,i'mgoing to leave them alone this year to see how big they get
bfdebb46-1.jpg

Andrew

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
When pulled off the tree and dried it should be said they're tinder. They look like they've already been burnt and when set on fire, they glow and look like a wood coal.

They can take a spark from a flint and steel, can be used as an ember extender or to carry an ember on a journey.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
What a good supply and on your doorstep too!! Is the ash tree alive and well as normally they grow on dead ash wood.

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
What a good supply and on your doorstep too!! Is the ash tree alive and well as normally they grow on dead ash wood.
The ash is alive, except for the branch with the cramp balls.If you look to the bottom right there is still a stain left from one of last years.
Andrew

Elder

Jan 20, 2007
Hastings
I see these cramp balls in my local fields on live and dead ash. If I pick them too young they don't make a good tinder even if well dried.

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
We have these in Australia too, at least in parts of Victoria: Daldinia concentrica
As well as being excellent for fire lighting, they are said to be able to produce a pruple dye !

Keep an eye on your tree and beware of any insects who may attack and eat them !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE