Coniston Water, Tarn Hows (lake district)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
Has anyone on here camped around these areas?

Any advice you can give - suitability for a few nights bushcraft in the woods, whether it's heavily patrolled by wardens, amout of human traffic passing through etc etc. In a nutshell, any adive you can give about the area would be much apprecaited. It's a bit too far for a day's reccie, so I'd need to know I could stay for the duration if I took the trouble to travel up.

Thanks in advance.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I've not camped up there, but I have walked the Tarn Hows area. You will find a lot of hill walkers around that area, many of the areas walks are well documented in the various guide book, pamphlets and whatever. I beleive a lot of the land is National Trust, but I may be wrong. You will usually find an NT volounteer manning the car parks at the Tarn, maybe a chat with them would be useful?

Dave

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
Jud,
Tarn Hows is one of the most popular 'easy walking' destinations in the Lakes. It is owned by NT:
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-conistontarnhows
I think its highly unlikely that the NT would allow you to camp there and in any case it'd probably be crawling with retired folks on 'out of season' holidays.
My in-laws live just outside Ulverston, so we're pretty frequent visitors to the area, and Tarn Hows is a favourite of theirs.
For wild camping you'll need to get up on the higher fells. Blind Tarn and Goats Water come to mind in the Coniston area or Angle, Sprinkling and Styhead Tarns in the Wasdale/Langdale area. We've camped/bivied at all of these sites.
Hope this helps, but I don't know of any lowland or wooded sites that allow wild camping.

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
Tarn Hows is definately one of the lake disticts 'honeypots' you can park right next to the tarn and its a well laid path all the way round - therefore it is very busy (think ice cream vans and packed car parks etc)

A number of main walking footpaths also converge on the tarn from different angles so there is alot of through traffic. If you are looking for an isolated spot Tarn Hows is not the place!!

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
:banghead: Is there ANYWHERE in England I can go for a few day's bushcraft?

Intertidal, I'll take a look at the places you mention, but I was hoping for some nice woods.

Thanks to you all for replying, by the way. I do appreciate it, despite my headbanging.

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
Jud,
Maybe you'd be best to approach landowners directly. Get the OS maps out and find some likely suitable areas, go on a recce, see if you can contact the owner and explain face to face what you'd like to do.
Gotta be worth a try

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
Jud,
Maybe you'd be best to approach landowners directly. Get the OS maps out and find some likely suitable areas, go on a recce, see if you can contact the owner and explain face to face what you'd like to do.
Gotta be worth a try

Very true. At least then I'd have peace of mind if he gave me the permission.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE