Confiscation forces new Leatherman purchase - which?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
OK, so having just returned home via CDG Paris, where they confiscated and destroyed my tusty old Leatherman (hey, I chose Valet Service instead of checking it in the hold - sue me...) - I now need a new Leatherman. Which would you recommend / what do you have experience of? My origial was a PST of some description but I've had it so long I don't remember which... :)

ODG

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I've been using the Wave nearly every day for a good 5 years and I'm perfectly happy with it.

I've not tried any other models or brands but have never felt the need to.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
You can often avoid problems like that by carrying a self addressed envelope. Just post the offending item to yerself.
You can usually buy stamps at airports or stations.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
A 'Crunch', I don't think they make them anymore but there are usually some to be found on ebay. Definitely the most 'friendly' looking Leatherman because it only has a single, very small blade.

It's also possibly the only multitool that you can service your car with.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
the old wave model is one of the best they every made, unfortunatly I am disapointed with the new version.

the new charge Ti is the best model they currently make

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
I had my wave stolen (along with a couple of sailing knives) when checked on a Brest to Soton flight so had to buy another. Fortunately, I spent the summer in Canada and had chance to play with the new wave and charge Ti. I went for the Charge (plus its bit sets) and am very pleased with it.

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
Another vote for the old style wave

Used to carry the adaptor and bits but never seemed to use them much

The wave itself is used almost every day though

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
ah! a subject very dar to my heart. i use my leatherman all day everyday at work.

as already mentioned, the new letherman charge/waves're two steps forward and quite a few steps back.

if you're not sure which to get, the answer is simple. you need the leatherman blast, it's half the price of the wave, with longer more useable screwdriver blades. you can get a tool adapter which will accept standard 1/4" hex bits. the blast is a little bulkier than the PSTII. but it has stronger blades and pliers. it also has plastic liners which go some way to easing the amount of pain from squeezing the pliers really hard.

if your multitool is your main pocket knife, and you really want knife blades that you can open with one hand (right hand only) then it might be worth you getting a new style charge with the high class steel (154CM) on the main blade. overall the screwdriver blades are much shorter which means that they are unuseable in many applications on cars and electrical equipment where many screws are shrouded or stuck down holes in plastic mouldings. if your main potential use is just odds and sods of diy or flat pack furniture building, you might find them to be adquate. the built in bit adapter is only useable with the special leatherman bits. i found that the leatherman bits twisted when used hard. others ahve found the same.

leatherman have recently released a couple of even bigger stronger tools. one wave style, one blast style. i haven't tried them myself yet.

i'll let you in on a secret. the best place to buy leatherman tools is moontrail.com they have a limited product range on camping kit, but the prices are right, the service is fantastic, and they'll ship to the uk by air post.

if you want a great tool with all tools accessable without opening the pliers get a swisstool. some may find them to be a little heavy.

if you want rapid opening pliers that can "plier" things open as well as closed. go for one of the slide action gerbers.

if wire cutting is high up on your agenda, try a gerber legend with replaceable tungsten carbide wire cutters. however the cast aluminium chassis makes them big and bulky with relatively limited functionality. the spring loaded jaws give them pliers with the smallest opening of all thefull size tools.

HTH

cheers, and.

to my mind, paying twice the price for questionable

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Thanks for all the comments guys, really helpful.

I used to use my old PST every day when working as a field engineer on Sun kit; these days it's (was, anyway) usually on my belt whenever I'm out in the woods or even in town.

Blade, screwdrivers, scissors, pliers and tin opener were all regularly used, although as mentioned, I often found that the pliers hurt my hands when squeezed tight.

My fella bought a Leatherman when we were in the States earlier this year, but I find his a little too bulky and heavy - I can't remember which model he has, but will sneak it our of his truck tomorrow and check... :)

Will definitely be looking at the website mentioned - I'd like to get a replacement ASAP! :)

ODG

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
Stew said:
Do you not find it a bit heavy? I've handled a mates and found it a bit on the weighty side.

It is lighter than the new wave and has the 154cm blade, which swayed me to it. I'll probably pick up an old wave if I see a good deal on one.

I wouldn't want to carry it in my pocket for long, but I tend to either put it horizontally on my belt or in my manbag :)

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
Andy said:
I was told that was just the charge.

Not sure what you mean, my charge Ti according to Leatherman's site weighs 238g and the new wave is 264g.

I didn't like the look of the chunky Ti handles initially but in use I find them much nicer than my old wave.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE