Cobber body cooling neck wrap review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
STA70203.jpg

I first learned of these when I received a photo of my cousin who had moved to Perth, Australia.

I am not a person who likes the heat too much, so with the ever increasing temperature I tent to spend more time in front of the fan, until now!

I took some advice from my cousin and had a look at this web site www.bodycool.tv/index.html , now, reading the info with scepticism I took the bull by the horns and placed an order for one, it arrived the next day, flat packed, once it had its first 45 minute soaking it had swollen to approximately 30mm diameter, I carefully squeezed the excess water from it and within about half an hour it felt quite dry, this had been a concern that it may have dripped water down the back and front all the time I was using it, but that really is not the case, it really does feel dry when in use.

Now the magic, it really works, you tie it around your neck and it cools your blood flowing through the main arteries, after a while you do feel a lot cooler, the other thing that I noticed was that I don’t sweat anywhere as much as I would without it. All you have to do is to remember to twist it inside out when the surface next to your skin feels warm, and the cooling process starts all over again. They can even be used as an ice pack, by placing them in the freezer of as a hot pack by microwaveing them.

I only take this off at night when I go to bed, it has been an absolute godsend when walking, bushcrafting, canoeing and during my daily activities, this has proved its worth as part of my everyday kit, my wife and three children have one each and swear by them and a very good friend has one that he wears in the kitchen where he works where the temperatures have recently reached 51*C.

One thing I will say is that in this really hot weather I have found it necessary to re-soak it every other day to keep it working, which inst a problem as it only takes 15mins, and you can use it time and time again. And when you get to the time of year when you won't need it you let it dry out (takes about 7 days) and you can store it ready for next year.

Rating 10/10 . :) :You_Rock_ :)

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
hi Chopper i have to second what you say about cobber they work realy well and i would not be with out mine.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
They really are something else, arnt they.

I really wish that I had come across these at the begining of the summer.

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Hello,

I also have been wearing the cooling neck wrap when I was on holiday in the Czech Republic for 2 weeks and it works really well.

I bought 7 of them and they arrived just before my holiday start of July.

The only thing I didn't read in your report was that they will start to "smell" a little "muffy" after a few days of wearing and reloading with water and an easy way to get them smell fresh again is soaking them in water with a little shampoo or nice smelling washing detergent added (SMALL amount) and just sloshing the neck tie around for 30 seconds and them putting them in new water without any washing detergent.

Worked for me and it smelled "fresh" again.

Cheers,

Bagheera

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
I used one of these on an op tour in Iraq, and it really worked well. An essential piece of kit for hot climates, in my view. I kept mine clean by taking it in the shower every few days.

No doubt Broon will provide me with another opportunity to use it again soon...

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've got a white rock hat with that works on the same principal. It has crystals in the sweat band at the forehead. Soak in water and wear.
very cooling. I wore mine in Perth WA a last year in the summer. I reckon I'd have been dead without it ;)

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
All you have to do is to remember to twist it inside out when the surface next to your skin feels warm, and the cooling process starts all over again.

Rather than twist it inside out try taking off, grabbing the ends and twirling it a few times around, bullroarer style, the extra evaporation cools it down even further :)

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
The only thing I didn't read in your report was that they will start to "smell" a little "muffy" after a few days of wearing and reloading with water and an easy way to get them smell fresh again is soaking them in water with a little shampoo or nice smelling washing detergent added (SMALL amount) and just sloshing the neck tie around for 30 seconds and them putting them in new water without any washing detergent.

Nice tip, I'll try Teatree oil shampoo and make it slightly insect repellent at the same time :)

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
I read something about it, but didn't expected it to work that well as you describe it.
When it gets hot next year, I will get one too.

Thanks for the review! (I'm also one who likes cold better than hot ;-)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have Whiterock hats with Hydro gel (and a "tie") as well as a Cobber - all work well and were a godsend in Africa this year

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
I have cobber and find it a great bit of kit.I have had it for about 3 years now and is still going strong.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I used one of these on an op tour in Iraq, and it really worked well. An essential piece of kit for hot climates, in my view. I kept mine clean by taking it in the shower every few days.

They're issue now - quite a good bit of kit but they do start to get a bit whiffy after a week or so!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland

They're issue now - quite a good bit of kit but they do start to get a bit whiffy after a week or so!

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
The one I have you soak in cold water until the gel inside expands then just wrap around like a regular neck tie also the gel keeps it cool for quiet some time..great bit of kit

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE