Cleave

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
This afternoons project, small wooden cleave for cleaving willow and bramble shoots for basket weaving, been wanting to make myself one for ages so today was the day.

This one is only a practice piece in Hazel, now i have worked a few things out i'll make a better one out of a nice bit of Beech

20180327_152524 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

20180327_152518 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nice one. Would love to see how it works. Do you just push it into the end of what you want to cleave?

Exactly that, if it works right it should give split the rod giving four nice pieces of material to work with

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
nicely done. A useful tool and interesting little carving project

four blades is an unusual number, any reason for your choice there? French cleaves normally have two and English ones 3 blades. I haven't made one for a while (they are a bit fiddly to get them working just right, as you have no doubt found!) but I normally use box wood, though I'm sure beech will work well too :)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
four blades is an unusual number, any reason for your choice there?

yep, i cant count and i think ive gone blind too, marked it all out and started cutting then realised i had a gap, so i filled it with a fourth blade, too much speed and not enough haste springs to mind :D, was so intent in getting it done that i wasnt thinking

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE