Cleaning/Washing British Army Bergen and waterproofing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
Hello chaps and chapesses

I just received a second hand olive green 1988 British army 100l bergen from an auction site..

In great near perfect condition but it looks like a barn find. Covered it lots of dust and particles. My skin just gets itchy when I touch it :)

So am wondering what's best to spruce this up without damaging it? Light scrubbing with a small brush outdooors and keep the vacuum handy? Thinking a washing machine cycle may not be good for the bag or the machine?

Also I understand these bags are not meant to be 100% waterproof, Besides using inner bags/sacks/poncho any other tips on external waterproofing? (I already have the army lightweight poncho that will sit in the top compartment ready for action).

I've 2 of these now and love them to bits. Just need to understand what extra TLC they need.

Cheers me dears

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
need to understand what extra TLC they need

None, just the occasional yomp in the rain to freshen them up :lmao:
but giving it a hose down & scrub sounds prudent if not sure what it's covered in.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Flashpan,

If it aint too bad - do as already recommended using Tesco/Waitrose liquid soap flakes. If it is -

I've recently put one in absolute rag order through a machine in a launderette (industrial washer) using Tesco liquid soap flakes (ask wash house permission some don't like it!) and it has come out fine.

I would however recommend the following -
1. Turn the bag inside out and check the condition of the pvc waterproofing on the back of the Cordura material and look for any points that it has worn away and/or 'blistered'
If there are large blisters ***** them so that when water gets in during the wash (it will) there is less chance of pressure enlarging the blister.
2. Wash it on a low temperature (I used 30 degrees) give it a long rinse and a spin.
3. Personally I wouldn't tumble dry it, I put mine in a black rubbish bag to take home and let it dry in the breeze in the garden.

They are meant to be waterproof -when issued - for a short period of time (usually until a sharp cornered item rubs the internal pvc coating away) and that is why it's best to use liners with them, but see below.

Notably the coating on the later dpm versions is more robust (but still wears through in time:() (Why didn't they use NI patrol pack standard?!:confused:)

Be careful re re-proofing - I tried Fabsil Gold (worked great on canvas) luckily on an old rocket pouch first where it softened and blistered the internal pvc coating. (I might have been a bit enthusiastic).
I eventually gave it a blast with Nikwax TX direct but knowing that this eventually wears off I most often use a ruck cover made from a section of a German surplus plain olive poncho. (I don't bother with the liners then except for my doss bag and spare base layer).

Hope this helps :)

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Vac off what you can, and chuck it the bath, and put some Vanish or similar in with it, and leave to soak for a little while. Then a good scrub (an old washing up brush works well), and perhaps some stain remover spray to get rid of really stubborn stains, then a quick rinse and dry it out of the direct sunlight on a nice dry day upside down with all the zips etc undone.

If the waterproofing inside is shot (blistering, coming off), you can scrape off and reseal it, but its a real faff (see Dont Forget the Duct Tape on the stuff used to reseal tent ground sheets), or just get some cheapo spray stuff from Aldi and blast it. I bought a somewhat battered Berghaus Cyclops a month ago from my local surplus place for £15, hoping the pockets would fit my Centurio (no luck), and while I might give the reproofing a go, its back system is so primative that I might get shot of it. Sometimes its not worth the hassle.

Last edited:

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I take mine outside and pressure wash it. Its nearly cream white now with age and use. Forget all this scrubbing with soap etc..

We were issued MTP covers to keep it dry(er) before the new virtus kit came in but water will always soak it. I'd heavily recommend a few ortlieb bags, 1 for the main compartment and 2 for the sides. You should then keep everything else inside smaller dry bags, inside the ortliebs, every little helps. I like exped since i can choose the colour for kit. One for dry kit, one for rats and brew kit, ones the stove etc.. Saves having to hunt around. Keep the maggot in its bivvy and stuff it down the bottom, then put the orlieb on top. When it comes to get a kip you can pull the full ortlieb out and even if its lashing down all your kit will be dry. I keep the basha & pegs in the internal compartment on the lid.

Try to keep the heavy kit in the main bit, you don't want one side heavier than the other. If you don't plan on using it with belt kit then i'd really recommend having a hip belt added. Jayjays are excellent for this.

Tonyuk

Last edited:

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Try to keep the heavy kit in the main bit, you don't want one side heavier than the other. If you don't plan on using it with belt kit then i'd really recommend having a hip belt added. Jayjays are excellent for this.

I must admit to being shocked at the size of the industry devoted to modifying a long issued piece of equipment, simply in order to make it comfortable. As a taxpayer I'm miffed that service people are shelling out their own money to do this, and that I'm shelling out on stuff which is less useable straight off than a £50 Hi Gear rucksack from Go Outdoors. I looked at the Cyclops I bought, and thought 'no way' when looking at the hipbelt/straps - my 15 year old LA has a vastly better system.

Is there still a large market for better (civvie) versions of the bergan, or is it simply easier to have the one that is issued modded?

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
Thanks for the advice all.

No hose outside so I think this Bergen will be getting a shower in the bathroom (will still give it a once over with a the vac though first). Just hope the Mrs is ok with sharing her shower time with this smelly thing instead of me ;)

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I must admit to being shocked at the size of the industry devoted to modifying a long issued piece of equipment, simply in order to make it comfortable. As a taxpayer I'm miffed that service people are shelling out their own money to do this, and that I'm shelling out on stuff which is less useable straight off than a £50 Hi Gear rucksack from Go Outdoors. I looked at the Cyclops I bought, and thought 'no way' when looking at the hipbelt/straps - my 15 year old LA has a vastly better system.

Is there still a large market for better (civvie) versions of the bergan, or is it simply easier to have the one that is issued modded?

Your comparing two bits of kit used for different purposes. The issue bergen is designed to be used with belt webbing already sitting at the waist. If you have everything adjusted correctly then the bottom of the bergen will rest on the top of the pouches, so a good bit of the weight of the pack is put onto your hips, just like using a hip belt in a normal civvy pack. Obviously if someone buys it for civvy use they wont have belt kit, so should really have a good hip belt added to spread the weight. The old dpm short back bergen is one of the best bits of kit i think has ever been issued, it wasn't that long ago soldiers were expected to carry all their gash in a green cotton sack, attached to their yoke. If the issued bergen came with a proper hip belt i would cut it off, it would just be in the way.

This has changed with the new virtus kit being issued now, with less emphasis on belt kit and more on molle pouches attached to the armour cover, actually very good kit. The new daysack is excellent, especially with the wider straps.

Tonyuk

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Re the upgrading to a better hip belt - that works if you have the correct sized Bergen in the first place - long or short depending on your torso length. If I were to do that with my short back version the upper part of the belt would sit uncomfortably on my lower ribs not my waist.

I'm presently looking into a viable extension for the bottom of the ruck so that I can use (correctly positioned) a Warrior Assault Systems waist belt which I find one of the most comfortable and adjustable that I have come across.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
A little while ago I was also in a similar predicament having acquired a british army bergen from that famous online auction site. It too was quite grubby. I just gave it a shower using warm water and a washing up sponge. I didn't bother with any soap or detergent, just elbow grease!

It came out looking good as new.

I ended up getting rid of it a short while later and acquired a NI Patrol pack instead. It was way too big for my needs, the NI pack was just the right size for overnighters.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE