Chopwell Tenderfoot ( part one)lot of pictures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
We held our first event of the year on Sunday gone. It was fully booked but a couple didn't show-not an issue to be honest, apart from the fact that some who would have liked to be there, missed out.
Anyway, myself and the "squad": Me, Eric Methven, Ken Jackson and David Beaver ( always eager!!-sorry:rolleyes: )were up early enough to join the sparrows coughing and barking on etc. and everything was set for 09:30.
Our students arrived and were introduced to the team by John Butler the current Recreation Ranger, a safety brief, a simple tools brief from Eric and we were off.

We started with a bit of a wander, looking at and collecting resins and bark as we went, all very leisurely and relaxed:
P3020002copyresized-resin_eric.jpg

Next, in order to give folk a first chance to use the Laplander as well as learn about coppicing hazel etc we stopped to collect a few sticks:
P3020005copyres-terry_carole.jpg

then it was another saunter along some of the nicer bits of forest road, again collecting odds and ends for tinder, cordage and what have you:
P3020006copytrsizedwander.jpg

after a bit of a drag up the hill, we took a shortcut into a little dean and then clambered up the opposite side for a well earned breather. Sad to note but the remains of a substantial bonfire scarred the area we were using as our rest halt.( this is actually on a nature trail used regularly by primary schools):
P3020009copybreak.jpg

After a few minutes we moved on and began our shelter building phase. Just a simple debris or leaf hut, but a fair substitute for a tent in extremis!:
P3020017.jpg

There is always huge variation in how much attention the students pay to what they are being taught, which often leads to some weird and wonderful variations on a theme!:
This ones a bit flat but otherwise ok:
P3020021acopyreszdsheltermark.jpg

This one; was massive! you could have easily slept 5 in it, also it was built on the brow of the spur we were working on, so it was a bit exposed to the wind::umbrella:
P3020030bcopyreszdshelter2.jpg

This one had a floor which rolled you to the back of the shelter but again; otherwise ok and these lads improvised a leaf litter collection sheet using a small basha one of them had in his pack:
P3020026dcopyreszdymca.jpg

after about an hour and a half, we halted and then had another look at what had been built, then compared the shelters with the demo version. I think, as always, lessons were learned and point's made, in a light hearted fashion, with many a ; "Ah... of course!" and an occasional; " Oh buxxer" but all the sub groups completed a usable shelter, using no tools and whatever they had available in the way of building materials. You cant get much greener than that!
Then, in the spirit of minimum impact, minimum trace, all the shelters were dismantled and the component parts scattered widely around the area, leaving the little spur, much as we had found it on our arrival.

The next stage was to move on to our fire lighting area. I'll leave it here for now, as it takes ages to put this stuff together, as well as taking a while to load up when viewing!

I'll post part two later in the week but hope you enjoy having a look see.

all the best
R.B.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looks like you had a good day out RB

A good turn out aswell by the looks of things, considering the weather we`ve been having in the north lately.

Look forward to the next instalment.

Rich

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
To be honest, I wasn't certain we would be safe to run it.
While I was building the demo shelter on Saturday, there were a few "widow makers" came down in the rather bedraggled sitka patch next to the shelter site. :umbrella:
The wind really was terrific in an alarming kind of way! The sitka in question has suffered for years from wind blow with several dozen trees going over during the last 5/6 years but that's the first time I've witnessed them snap off! it was about the top 10 or 12 feet of one and just the last 6 feet or so, off another.
The wind died down quite a bit towards Sat evening and it looked ok for a few hours and then a storm came through with lashing rain and howling gales!
Thankfully, by Sunday early doors, it had cleared and the wind stayed reasonable except on the open forest tracks. We had a little difficulty with the wind for the firelighting but, to be honest, it just made it more realistic for the students! ( and us!)
This is the group at the start of the day:
P3020001copyresized-group.jpg

As always; a mixed bunch but a cracking bunch of people

Cheers
R.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE