Chopwell Spring Forager

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
04th May is the date set for our Spring Forager fund raiser here at Chopwell Woodland park just west of Gateshead,Tyne & Wear.

Myself,Eric Methven and Ken Jackson, will be working in cahoots with Neil Taylor, from the Forestry Commission, to put together, what we hope will be,something a little bit different to the normal "run o the mill" food for free events.

The day starts at 09:30 prompt, we take off on a wander through the wood, looking at all sorts of plants and tree's. Neil is an expert in food for free, as well as medicinal uses for plants. He normally works exclusively at Hamsterly Forest but we have managed to get him to come up to Chopwell for the day as our "Guest instructor".

We will spend roughly the first half of the day foraging, collecting a variety of food items but also looking at valuable utility items, such as cordage materials and fire lighting tinders etc.
Basically, Neil will cover the food/poisons and myself, Eric and Ken will do the other "stuff "
Around about lunch time, we will settle at our base camp training area and set up some cooking fires and make a variety of things from what we have collected earlier.

You not only get to gather wild food but cook it and taste it as well. If you already have fire lighting skills, that's fine but if not you get that thrown in as well.

You will also get the chance to make digging sticks for things like burdock root collection.
We knock off at 16:30 so there is plenty of time to make sure everyone goes away with a bit more knowledge than they came with.( well probably!)

As with all of our dedicated bushcraft events; all proceeds go directly into maintaining the park, conservation or education projects. (including more bushcraft)

I hope we can attract one or two from bcuk to book up this time, we only had one last time out!
We are always looking for keen volunteers to give a hand with our events, as well as a shed full of other tasks and activities.

If you are interested, then have a look on the Friends of Chopwell Wood website for booking details-you must be over 18 and ,for this one in particular, you MUST be able to walk at least 3-4 miles over hill and down dale!

Many thanks, once again to Tony Bristow for allowing us to publicise our fund raisers here.

regards
R.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE