Childrens Archery

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
After trying out archery at the Scottish meet (thanks Doc) I am thinking of introducing my son to the sport. Anyone got any recommendations on bows, weights etc for children? Any clubs in Glasgow area?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Moff8 said:
After trying out archery at the Scottish meet (thanks Doc) I am thinking of introducing my son to the sport. Anyone got any recommendations on bows, weights etc for children? Any clubs in Glasgow area?

Moff8,
Archery for youngsters is a very fluid thing, if he takes it up, he will progress through bow sizes quite quickly. Don't be affraid of buying second hand gear as with some set-ups he'll only use them for a few weeks before moving on - at which point you can sell on his "old" gear to someone else. From experience, children either have a natural tallent or do not, so bare-bow styles might kindle his interest earlier than a bow with all the bells and whistles which takes discpline to shoot accurately long term.

Try doing a search for archery equipment suppliers in your area and ask them for guidance on clubs.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
You can get compound bows with adjustable draw weights, allowing a bit more time between having to change bows.
Can't say I'm fond of compounds now but I used to love the old one I had, it went from 35-50lb and kept me happy for a while :) .

They sell fibreglass youth bows on the top(about 5th) floor of the sports shop on Sauchihall St. You should be able to try them there and find out what draw weight you're aiming at.
I can't remember it's name, JJD Sports maybe, or it could be a Greaves. It's only one or two blocks up from Hope St.
And the ubuiquitous Victor Morris down on Argyle St usualy has a youth compound or two about.

I've got a lovely little ash stave here that you're welcome to if you decide to make one ;) .

Try before you buy and don't overdo it, it hurts!

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
I will have a little wander up there today and have a look.

Thanks for the offer of the stave. I did consider making one but decided against it considering the person who would be using it. Just in case :)

I did find a club on the web that practice out of Mearns Castle School over the winter. Not too far from me so hopefully they will have a night I can go along.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I think that the most important requirement for a first bow for your son is that it doesn't require him to struggle to draw it. The same can be said for you as well. If it's too difficult for your son to draw the bow, he won't find it much fun and will soon lose interest. If you get a bow that's too heavy in weight, you won't be able to develope proper and consistent form, which is critical to consistent and acceptable accuracy.

Have fun with it. It's a wonderful sport that can teach much more in life, than how to cast an arrow.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
Some great advice above.

Archery in the under 10's can be a bit challenging, but they often seem to have a natural talent that puts the rest of us to shame..

Try out a few if you can. At that age I would probably lean more towards a fibreglass youth bow.

10lbs is the one to try him with. See how he gets on pulling to full draw, holding for a couple of seconds and then gently letting the bow back down. Be as clear as you need to be so that he does not let the string go - a bow going bang the first time might put him off (or worse). Make sure he does not hyperextend his elbow.

If you think that 10 is easy, try a 15.

The things to remember whith bows like these is that they are around £10. As he gets used to the bow and the muscles respond, you will be able to sell on the bow eaily and get the next one up.

Then find somewhere safe to practice under supervision and only hand him the arrow he is about to shoot - then you stay behind him. Kids like to practice drawing whilst you are up getting arrows back - they seem to be born with the need ;)

Let us know how you get on :)

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
Do you think a youth bow would be ok to shoot in the back garden? High fence on one side and rear of the garden is protected by a large shed and trees. Range to shed is about 10m from the patio.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Sounds fine.

Wouldn't use the shed as a backstop, even a light arrow will make a mess of thin wood :eek: .
You could hang an old sheet up on a bit of line to stop strays and sit the target a couple of feet in front of it.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
http://www.gnas.org/ (England)
or
http://www.scottisharchery.org.uk/about.shtml (Scotland)
Will tell you where your local clubs are, go along to a beginners course (though that may have to wait till his next birthday, all the clubs I know of have 6 as min age). Do their beginners course which will teach you and him to shooot safely, even an arrow from a 10lb bow could cause serious injury!
What is behind the shed, some of the beginner kids arrows at my club go far more than a shed width off course at 10m and a 15lb bow that most of them use is easily capable of burying an arrow well into a target (or wooden leg of the target stand) at double the range you are talking
Cheers
David

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE