Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Woodburner.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

amn1240

Apr 9, 2012
Hampshire
Just a short vid of me and a mate roasting up some chestnuts in the woods on a small woodburning stove (Honey Stove).

[video=youtube;iBxq7_koA0s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBxq7_koA0s[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Looks good, slightly envious though. We have a solitary sweet chestnut within foraging distance here and every year I watch it flower and the fruits coming to nowt. They don't seem to like it up here. Which is a pity as I love chestnuts. (Roasted or candied), that truly is a wood snack fit for kings, enjoy.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I love the smell of them roasting :D

Put me right in the notion for some too. Lidl's have them in just now; might take a walk to the shops :D
I wish they ripened here too.

Thanks for sharing :cool:

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I use a sharp knife and cut a slit in them, (some folks make a cross like a baked potato) then pop them into the oven until they kind of puff open a bit. The smell's a good guideline and they should be hot/hot right through.
You can grill them too.....just mind that wee split in the skin or otherwise they explode and the smell of like-burnt-spuds and stuff stuck to the grill is a right royal pain..... they don't need that long; 200C in the oven for maybe 20 minutes to half an hour.

Definitely in the notion now :eek:

:D

M

NicfromBristol

Apr 24, 2013
Bristol
There's lots of chestnut trees at parkland near me. The best nuts come off trees on the edges facing south.
We've been putting them in the wood burner in the house. Needs to be when the embers are fairly cool and the chestnuts need to be stirred a couple of times- lush treat on a winter evening :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
There's lots of chestnut trees at parkland near me. The best nuts come off trees on the edges facing south.
We've been putting them in the wood burner in the house. Needs to be when the embers are fairly cool and the chestnuts need to be stirred a couple of times- lush treat on a winter evening :)
if you have a wee sauté pan or ash shovel you could cook them on that rather than letting the stove die down on a cold day.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Peirce all but three, cover and place in the oven. When you hear three bangs they are done. The best are the ones that come out cooked perfeclty and intact. Like little brains :)
Pics look great.

Love them with salt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE