Chainsaws

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Hi chaps, more questions. I am considering investing in some kit, chainsaw boots etc, for my course it has to be industry standard. The hire prices for the week are quite high, my brother is a buyer for a large company and can get 30 possibly 40% discount at Arco, but is this stuff worthwhile?
Linky...
Thanks.

Not wanting to sound like a smarty, but it depends on how many accidents you are planning to have !

I presume you are doing the course because you are planning on doing a fair bit of sawing, so it seems reasonable to invest in safety, or at least as much safety as you feel you can afford. You could phone the folk running the course and get their opinion on the brand names you have access to and perhaps to prioritize from most to least important item ?

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I learned to use a chainsaw in the era when protective clothing consisted of Mortein (fly repellent) to stop the bloody flies from crawling in your eyes while you were cutting.

I wouldn't recommend going back to those days, and think that steel-toecap boots are probably a good idea, along with ear and eye protection.

As for the gloves and trousers - seriously, if you are going to use a chainsaw much you shouldn't assume that anything you wear will stop it. Handle the chainsaw like you are bollock-naked and don't get careless.

Dirty Karlos

Forager
Oct 16, 2007
Hull
www.karlholtby.com
Aye, I hear what you are saying chaps, I'm under no illusion that no overalls etc are going to stop the chainsaw!
However, for this course I am doing and in future when working for various organisations, this kind of ppe equipment is required. I was just wondering if anyone had used anything similar and is it worth the cost as it's pricey kit.
I'll get in touch with the course leaders as suggested.
Cheers.

Dirty Karlos

Forager
Oct 16, 2007
Hull
www.karlholtby.com
*BUMP*
Aye up!
I have a few questions, hope you guys can help.
I'm a total chainsaw numpty, that is already established. For my course, the bumpf says I need a combi-can, 5 litres of unleaded petrol, 2 stroke oil and 2 litres of chain oil. Can anyone recommend where to purchase a combi-can etc?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE