catching signal crayfish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
It may be worth checking the opening diameter (not listed on that site) and whether this is 'otter-friendly' - when applying you have to specify the dimensions of your trap and there are (rightly) quite strict guidelines to protect other species.

It's not otter friendly.

shootfive

May 25, 2011
Grantham, Lincolnshire
Just to butt into this thread - I've sent off my application this morning. The local river (R. Witham) was a significant ground for our native species however there was talk from the E.A. that the signal crays had taken over several tributaries to the main river. Obviously some sort of spread is inevitable so I may be granted permission to trap them there.

We will see; I'll update this thread when I hear anything.

Well, my application has been received and has been passed to the man in charge locally. They've forwarded his details should I wish to discuss it/ask for more information.

We will see.

shootfive

May 25, 2011
Grantham, Lincolnshire
Well, an update.

I had a very quick and helpful response from the local man at the Environment Agency. Basically, my application for removing crays for personal consumption has been turned down as the specific stretch of river I requested is a hot spot for the native crays (and that's obviously fair enough, the whole idea is to improve their chances so I don't want to tamper with that) - he did however recommend some specific stretches of water where the EA are aware that the signal crays have basically taken over. He said if I wanted to proceed with my application based on those stretches of water he would get the application through ASAP.

Very helpful, very quick, just a shame the river that is almost on my back doorstep is a no-go.

Dan J

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2012
Ludlow
Has anyone heard of any in shropshire/Herefordshire? have heard there's some in the lugg but don't know where.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
I never knew you need a licence to catch signal crays .
When I was a pub chef the local fishing folk and farmers used to set out traps.
And I would cook them up as bar snacks .
I think it is a joke that we would need a licence to catch something so detrimental to our native water life .

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
That's a good point but surely it would be better to educate rather than go the licensing route. And probably cheaper all round .

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Yes a crabline will work with a bit of spam . But less productive than a pot with a tin of cat food with holes in it :D. As for berks , bucks area . I am in Basingstoke so just down the road and I know reading waters have many .
Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's another huge issue, quite apart from the legal permission to fish, one; there's a disease carried by some populations of the signal crayfish and it destroys the native crayfish. Restricting the cross pollution of one site to another is vital in the attempts to curb the disease.
So someone wandering around collecting from all over the place and not decontaminating kit is actually a disease vector and potentially responsible for wiping out the native crayfish.

cheers,
Toddy

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hi does anyone know of where to go to catch Crayfish in Berks/Bucks?

Post #64. You need a license, and will get good advice on avoiding becoming a disease vector from the Environment Agency.

Personally I think they taste awful and muddy. Give me a decent sea caught scampi anyday.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....Personally I think they taste awful and muddy. Give me a decent sea caught scampi anyday.

You aren't seasoning them right. Use loads of Cajun seasoning in the boil:

Start by bringing about 3 to 4 gallons of water to a rolling boil and adding a minimum of a half cup (a full cup is better) of good Cajun Crab Boil seasoning (my favorite is Zararain's) and three or 4 onions (cut in halves) When water is boiling, add:

-A pound of New Potatoes
-A dozen ears of Corn on the Cob
-2 pounds of live Crawfish
-A half dozen Lemons or Limes (cut in halves)

Let boil for about 10-15 minutes and drain and spread the whole thing out loosely on the table (be sure to cover the table with newspaper or craft paper first)

Surround the table with people and enjoy.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
LOL. It's a random pic, but they are great this way; a commonunity crawfish boil just like a crab boil, etc.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
They are when done this way. Nice65 had a valid point if they're cooked plain. They need the heavy seasoning. And the festive mood when cooking in quantity like this for a group is hard to beat.

Another good way to eat them is cooked into etoufee. I've never cooked it myself but it's delicious when I've had it from others. The restaurants aren't giving up their recipes but here's a recipe I found online (be advised, when they sy crawfish tails, they mean tails that have already been peeled) www.crawfish.com/crawfish-etouffee

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
They are when done this way. Nice65 had a valid point if they're cooked plain. They need the heavy seasoning. And the festive mood when cooking in quantity like this for a group is hard to beat.

Another good way to eat them is cooked into etoufee. I've never cooked it myself but it's delicious when I've had it from others. The restaurants aren't giving up their recipes but here's a recipe I found online (be advised, when they sy crawfish tails, they mean tails that have already been peeled) www.crawfish.com/crawfish-etouffee

Good to see that Worcestershire sauce has made it to the bayous.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Good to see that Worcestershire sauce has made it to the bayous.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

It's been over here while; over a century at least. But most Americans still can't pronounce it right. LOL

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE