Catapult workshop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Catapult workshop

For this year rather than doing my usual carve a netting needle or make a fishhook with natural materials workshop I asked Tony if he'd mind if I did something different, namely a catapult workshop primarily for kids and amazingly he agreed :D

So with his permission to run it granted I have harvested a number of suitable 'Y' shaped forks for the handles. I've bought 3 strengths of Theraband elastic, gold, black and green so I can cater a range of pull strength for the kids. Along with the elastic I've also bought some other bits to assist in the making of the elastic parts of the catapults.

The plan is to set up shop somewhere near to reception on the Saturday and operate a drop in workshop throughout the day. There may be a bit of a queue for the pouch making jig If I get really busy but I'll have 2 with me so it shouldn't be too long. The idea of making it a drop in workshop is you can fit it around the other workshops you might want to go to. You can even take the components away with you, work on them in your own time and come back for the fitting of the elastic. If I've still got sufficient materials left over on the Saturday then I'll run it on the Sunday as well until I run out of handles

Whilst it's aimed really for kids anyone who'd like to make a catapult can turn up choose a handle and spend time debarking it, carving notches for the elastic to fit onto as well as make the pouch and fix it all together so you have a functioning catapult I'll also supply some mint imperials so you have some instant ammo. All you'll need to bring is a sharp knife and a small saw like a laplander or silky saw

Obviously because sharps are involved in making a projectile weapon a parent must be present to a. give me permission it's OK for the child to make said catapult and b. stay to assist or watch over their child whilst they're making the catapult. I won't take responsibility in any way shape or form to watch over a child without the adult present apart from to supply them with lots of sugary sweets and high octane coffee before you get back ;) Basically I supply the components and show you how to do particular bits like whipping the elastic onto the pouch and catapult but you make it.

Because there is a cost to me to run this workshop I'm afraid there will be a charge of £3 per catapult.

The plan is to also run a fun competition for everyone who makes a catapult as well but that will be confirmed at the moot.

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We'll need parents to be with kids as ultimately the parents are going to be responsible for their kids and the safety of others. I'm sure i will lecture on this at the Moot, but ultimately everyone needs to be safe.

Thanks for doing this Steve goodjob

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
We'll need parents to be with kids as ultimately the parents are going to be responsible for their kids and the safety of others. I'm sure i will lecture on this at the Moot, but ultimately everyone needs to be safe.

Thanks for doing this Steve goodjob

Fair enough Tony, I've amended the original post to say a parent must be present :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE