Carved Dish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Tutorial?

dish1.jpg

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
YEEEEEEEESSSSS! :D

stupid boy! - asking questions you already know the answer to! :lmao:

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
can we have a sneek preview? - how did you get the colour so accurate? - must have taken ages to do them all

btw the bowl thing looks good too! :rolleyes:

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Heres your tutorial then...:)

Get yourself a log of fresh wood and chop it down the centre with your axe.

dish2.jpg

Choose which piece of wood you would rather use and carve the split surface smooth. Also carve the bottom slightly flat so your dish doesnt roll onto it's side.

dish3.jpg

Make 2 cuts where you would like the handles to meet the bolw section as shown in the picture. Mind you dont cut too deep otherwise you wont have handles at all!

dish4.jpg

Chop off the wood to form the basis of the handles.

dish5.jpg

dish6.jpg

Now round off the ends of the bowl section, draw your handle shapes on and begin to carve those to shape too.

dish7.jpg

Keep on carving untill you are happy with the shape of your dish.

dish8.jpg

dish9.jpg

This carving job may take a while so if you decide to stop and carry on the next day put your work in a plastic bag so that it does'nt dry out.If the wood dries it will be harder to carve!

Now its time to carve the bowl out with your crook knife. This may take a while of carving and you will soon find out if your hands are tough enough!

dish1.jpg

When the whole project is carved and you don't need to do any more carving you should leave it to dry out so that you can sand all the bumps and scratches away. Green wood will just clog the sand paper and you wont got as smooth finish.

Place inside an open bag for over a week. Without putting your work in an open bag it is likely that your dish will dry too fast and the wood will split.

When the wood is totally dry, sand with coarse sand paper to start and them move on to finer sand papers to get a really smooth finish. You should get all the main bumps and scratches out with the coarse paper before moving on to the finer stuff.

Finally oil. I used veg oil.

dish.jpg

Article by Jonathan Ridgeon

spoonman

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2007
Loch Garman
I love it!!...Top Job!

At this rate of churning things out you could go into mass production and make yourself a fortune :D

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Im pleased everyone likes this one! I had a feeling you would.

Absolutely fantastic work, you make it seem so easy :(

Making this kind of thing isnt easy its just a case of building your skills up and then it will seem a little easier. Youve just got to keep going and not give up.

This dish took hours to create. One thing about carving is that you should be patient and not expect the final piece to pop into existance with little work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE