Car suspension - is it still ok?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scottishpinz

Dec 30, 2010
Scotland
as Janne said - its normal if you've loaded the car heavily (unless you have self levelling suspension like air springs). As long as the wheels don't keep rubbing the arches you should be fine!

A car's tyres should NEVER touch the body work even at maximum load and under compression. If a tyre was to foul the body then it could quickly wear and fail catastrophically. Be aware that the maximum load of most cars is only something like 500 kg (I think 540 kg for you car depending on specification) and that includes passengers, roof rack, and luggage. You may have over loaded it!

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I had 3 springs break on a car once, you'll definitely feel if the springs have went, the ride will be rock hard and the wheels will (probably) rub.

Sagging under weight is fine, sagging or off level with an empty car means somethings wrong. Sometimes if a spring can come loose of its mounting causeing one side to sag a bit, easy to spot if you have a quick look.

Tonyuk

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
It depends on car, but some cars have a cushioning layer between the spring and the seat where the spring sits. If they perish you will lose a couple of mm in height.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It's ok, my partner's paranoia infected me with this. Family.member used to be a car mechanic among other occupations.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
New bike, just not for me unfortunately. However my bike was in the shop last week for a fix. A tenner for Labour plus parts is a lot cheaper than car repair bills.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE