car kettle ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
What about a Crusader mug and stove? You can't get anything much more simple and it is not expensive plus you can use chafing gel or hexi as fuel which is really handy to carry. Clearly if using hexi you need to be careful with the fumes but you are not likely to be running it in the car anyhow.

I have a few stoves but love my Crusader and over the year it gets quite a bit of use including for making tea at the back of the car.

that is on my short list. it will be either a crusader mug and stove or an Esbit 585ml Cookset Stove (very similar idea to the crusader) or I can use my gas camping stove and remember to be careful about storing the gas in the car ( I have a black car that can get very hot during the summer)

I did originally think a DC kettle may work well but the reviews seem to show they take an age to boil and there is always the danger of running the car battery flat

Last edited:

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
that is on my short list. it will be either a crusader mug and stove or an Esbit 585ml Cookset Stove (very similar idea to the crusader) or I can use my gas camping stove and remember to be careful about storing the gas in the car ( I have a black car that can get very hot during the summer)

I did originally think a DC kettle may work well but the reviews seem to show they take an age to boil and there is always the danger of running the car battery flat

Car kettles always seem to end badly and I know a few who've had them and they've eventually burnt out in some way. Not ideal, I suspect it just requires too much current at 12V and most don't have wiring rated for that sort of draw.

If you decide to go the Crusader route then it is well worth considering getting one of the lids to fit on the cup. I think a company called "Heavy Lids" makes the one I use and I have a funny feeling that I bought it from the Ray Mears Bushcraft store. To be honest I don't think it speeds up the boil time much but there is a strainer section in the lid which makes it handy for pouring out tea when you use loose leaf tea, as I do. Also the lid I have is a good tight fit which means I can store a box of hexi, 2 lighters, loose tea in a container and powdered milk and a tea spoon inside my cup with the lid tightly in place. That gives me enough "stuff" for 8 - 10 cups of tea all self contained. I did think maybe the hexi (which is quite strong smelling) might taint my cup or tea but this has not been the case and I'm a little careful with it as I'd guess it is not ideal to be drinking it.

When I make tea with it I would dump the tea leaves out and then put the empty cup back on the stove with the lid loosely fitted on top. There is usually enough hexi or gel left to completely dry my cup and lid and they've never suffered any ill effects from the heat and, of course, it means I'm packing my bits away into a completely dry cup again.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Back in the day ...

111wearever_zpsowmywsib.jpg

I actually have one of those knocking around somewhere.

To be honest I'm with the others I'll take a small meths burner stove (Caldera Cone), a gas camping stove or my Ghillie Kettle. Boils much faster the car kettles and can heat a decent amount of water (my thermal mug holds 750ml).

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My first thought would be a Thermos flask and/or cup as has been mentioned. That said, if you want some type of "car" kettle I'd ask around of the professional truckers and see what they use. There are a fair few choices at the truck stops here but your selection may vary.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I second the jetboil and wets kit for myself at work; flask and travel mugs as well.

If you're looking at a bigger unit for a family then a jetboil may work. The cheap stoves mentioned would work for that out of a car boot.
Currently debating about a Primus fjord double burner for additional use with work and family camping with van.

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm actually thinking about changing my transport just to create that comfortable brew stop moment. We just park up and get our lunch out with a flask at the moment but we're considering a bigger car/small van (crew cab/double cab) just so we can bodge a proper means too make a brew. Kind of a camper that's got nowhere b to sleep (we prefer tents anyway).

There's something satisfying about making a brew fresh from your car but the reality is it's cold, wet and you're outside starting a stove off whether meths, gas or solid fuel. Unless you can do it inside or under shelter (van boots with overhead doors are good for that) you're better off with a good flask IMHO.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
When we lived in Anchorage AK during the winters we would keep a car survival kit in the boot just in case and we used an Esbit solid fuel cookset. Weighs about 7 oz (around 200g) Luckily we never had to use it in earnest just for quick trips out to Earthquake park in the summer. Everything in the first picture fits inside the pot and stores in the carry bag.

Screenshot from 2016-04-02 11:43:10.jpgScreenshot from 2016-04-02 11:43:50.jpg

Another choice and a more recent addition is the already mentioned Crusader cook set a surprise gift from my wife.

Screenshot from 2016-04-02 11:54:59.jpgScreenshot from 2016-04-02 11:55:32.jpg

One slight conversion I did make to the cooker was an idea from Jester Bushcraft on Youtube involving FireRope in the burner tray and meths. Much easier than hexi tabs and easier cleanup.

Screenshot from 2016-04-02 12:00:52.jpg
A still from his video.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE