Canvas tent and stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rarche2002

Jan 20, 2017
Blackpool
So been toying with the idea of a canvas tent with stove for a while but just can't decide what would be best. Would really Appreciate everyone's opinions on them. I quite like one that I saw on a joe robnet video a while back where he went camping in the snow with his dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I have a belltent 5m with seperatly groundsheat. Woodburner that exits the roof at the side. Good all round. I have the double internal bedroom attachment. I also have a tentipi with woodburner. And a Bison with woodburner. Everything is large, heavy, easy to put up. You need adequate transport for any of them but you can camp any weather. Out of the three the tentipi is the best. You can have a small open fire inside. A fire makes the tent a home.

Rarche2002

Jan 20, 2017
Blackpool
We went camping in Scotland in January just as it started to snow with pretty minimal gear I would say. We had just a small 2 man tent and some tarps I had in the garage she enjoyed it but I definitely think I could of made it a bit better for her and myself with a little stove to warm up on as the snow started to come down pretty heavy

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
I keep looking at this one http://www.atuktents.com/en_kanguk.php I hope the link works it all looks very lightweight I'm quite a big guy so wouldn't mind carrying it. Just as long as it makes my misses a bit more comfortable as she gets cold easy.

5kg for a tent lightweight? People have full packs which way less :p. (Ok, in the extreme, but still :p). Lightweight for a tent would be something around 1,5kg for 2 persons in my mind. If you use a sled or other way to transport it, or you don't have to actually go very far, sure, but otherwise, i'd stay far away from it when hiking or camping.

Rarche2002

Jan 20, 2017
Blackpool
Well the 2 man tent I have now is like 1.5 or 2.5 can't remember but we had quite a lot in our packs but I ended up carrying both anyways coz my misses is tiny lol prob around 20kg in each maybe 15 so I think I could do it on my own we walked for around 2 hours to get where we wanted to be.

Rarche2002

Jan 20, 2017
Blackpool
I just really like the idea that we can have it up in any weather really I know you can do it with tarps etc. But I like the idea of the stove and a larger sleeping area as I only just fit in my new tent 😂 as I'm 6"2 lol

Rarche2002

Jan 20, 2017
Blackpool
d008acf138886b98d6fd5541ac6beb3b.jpg

She turned me into a pack mule

Last edited:

Rarche2002

Jan 20, 2017
Blackpool
Yea when we went up it just started to snow like crazy think it got quite a bit down overnight its in Galloway Forrest in Scotland was nice and quite not many people around. Had a couple of loggers look at us like we were mental 😂

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Pic looks like an area I go to near loch Braden(?) go down that way a fair bit. Every trip I pour the last trips pine needles out of my tent and rucksack. Get everywhere!

2nd the sledge idea, OR if no snow. One of those 4 tyre trolleys for lugging garden stuff or logs about. Just drag it all behind you! Save your knees for later life :)

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
If you want space, relative lightness and the ability to have a stove or open fire take a look at the Helsport Pasvik, either 4-6 man or 6-8 man, outer only but that's all you really need.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
1. Paired sleeping bags don't quite close at the middle of the bottom. There's a wee hole.
Any time either person turns over in the night, the double bag works like a bellows.
You both will get a shot of so-very-frigid-air up your collective whazoo's. Just put a couple of Nappy-pins
on one bag bottom as a reminder.
2. Take a long hard look at a Pelican sled. They even work well on wet grass.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Fill a water bottle with hot water and stuff it in a sock, then into the bag a few minutes before you get in yourself, it keeps warm for a few hours normally and helps you get to sleep. In the morning the water will still be lukewarm so good for a wash/shave while your heating some fresh for a brew & breakfast.

Have something fatty before getting in the bag. Stuff like pate, nuts, oils etc.. really get you generating a bit of heat. Also, don't go to bed cold. Move around a bit and warm up before getting in the bag, that way you warm it up quicker.

If its the misses then sleep close together, with the bags touching if possible to share a bit of heat, make sure you've got a decent mat and bag. Wearing a light set of thermals, along with a hat and pair of socks also makes a big difference, make sure she isn't putting her head in the bag and breathing into it. Fleece sleeping bag liners are cheap but a bit bulky, bivvy bags also warm to up the warmth of a bag even in a tent.

Just a couple of things there. I don't believe that its necessary to carry a heavy canvas tent in this country to keep warm at night, even in the winter, and that it'll double in weight if it gets soaked with water.

Tonyuk

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Get a smokehouse outfitter 2. In silnylon. One of the best bushcrafting tents about. Thats what I would have for any winter expedition, if I didnt already have a snowtrekker. [I'd use it without the hammock]

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I have camped in temperatured down to -20 C many times.
Double walled tent, erected to be as small as posible, the summer ( anti insect) inner tent replaced with a copy of it made from same material as outer tent, water and wind proof.
A thick layer of pine boughts under, a cellfoam kat on top. A double mummy style eiderdown sleeping bag, rated to -20C or so. I slept in cotton longjohns, loose wollen socks and a Cotton shirt wit a cotton t-shirt under.
Woolen cap on head.
HOt tea with sugar and food before bed.

Works as I am still here. I was tought by dad never to have a fire in a tent, unless somebody is awake to guard it, as a tent fire can kill you really easily.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
What the heck is going on with the winter temperatures in Sweden Janne? Everything's melting!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE