Canoeing in Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
How many qualified staff will there be and where is the trip location? Which company is it organising the trip?

It's Bushcraft Expeditions Lee, not sure of the location but the RVP is Inverness airport so it's likely to Loch Ness east to west I reckon.

Are there any more details Tony / Woody ? It's getting close to the deadline date.

Woody

Forager
Guys,

Very sorry for the delay in getting more info up on this trip, Tony and I have been out of the country and up to our eyes (In it!!) for most of the year!!

The trip is still scheduled to go ahead on the dates stated and if we don't have the numbers required for these dates we will slip it to the right.

Further Details are below

Duration: 7 Days/6 nights (inclusive from arrival - departure)

Area/Route overview:

Forming the southern border of the Scottish Highlands the Great Glen Fault forms a natural line between the highlands and lowlands of Scotland. The Mountains, Lochs, Rivers and Canals of the fault form the ‘Great Glen way’ and makes up one of the four great long distance journeys of Scotland. The journey is approximately 80 miles long, can be covered on foot or by canoe and takes us through some of Scotlands finest scenary with the chance of seeing Deer, Otters, Eagles and a host of other wildlife in this pristine wilderness.

This timeless landscape hosts a wealth of natural beauty and on route we will take in Loch Linhe opening in to the Irish Sea, River Lochy, Loch Lochy, The Caledonian Canal, Loch Oich, River Oich, Loch Ness, River Ness and the Beauly Firth, opening on to the North Sea. All magnificent in their own right with a wealth of folklore and myth attached to each.

The Journey.
Starting out on Loch Linhe on the West coast we will cover all the basics of open canoeing and canoe safety before heading off on our self supported trip. The journey is approximately 80 miles long and runs with the flow of the rivers and canal, well within the capabilities of a novice paddler. On route we will wild camp and along the way we will learn the Bushcraft skills of the Scottish clans, foraging and fishing as we go before arriving at our destination. (No prior experience required)

Evenings: Bushcraft Workshops and free time

Staff

The trip will be staffed and instructed by Bushcraft Expeditions staff (Jed Yarnold and TBC) please see about us

Amendment to original post

The Meeting point will now be Fort William Railway station and the drop off will be in Inverness. Transfers can be arranged back to Fort William at cost.

For those still interested please add names to those in post # 35
These dates will slip and new dates posted if numbers are not met by the 10th May

Woody

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I'm interested in this but couldn't commit this year, I've done two Woodlore courses and don't have the time or money this year. Please don't feel dejected and please do offer this up agin next year.

Woody

Forager
If any one fancies watching our Tobeatic Wilderness Expeditions Video I have posted it here 10 days of old world canoe travel and learning the local bushcraft, campcraft, tracking and wilderness living skills.

Its fairly large and in two parts, part II in the uploads to the right of the main screen .... so i would pop the kettle on whilst it loads!

I hope you enjoy watching as much as we enjoyed being there - an awesome location..... as Scotland didnt happen we are trying to gauge interest for going here for next years BCUK exped after the arctic ......

Woody.

Gailainne

Life Member
I agree with Rich, looked like a really good trip, didn't look like you were suffering to much from the mozzies and black flies either, big bonus. Nice to see Jed back in his natural habitat :canoe:

Any details? ideas on cost, length of trip; days and distance etc. There looks like there's at least one portage, distances involved, terrain etc.

I see Supergirl Megan handled the double canoe portage with ease, as you would expect, that's a chunk of boat to be carting thru the forest tho, or anywhere else for that matter.

Also Woody glad to see you getting in touch with your inner-self, although a square weaved basket? :rolleyes:.

Seriously, great stuff, what was the wildlife like, I mean for photo opportunities, I presume in the 2nd video that was a series of beaver dams you were traversing? did you see them? what else did you come across.

Cheers

Stephen

B

bighead

Hi yah is it booked up yet as this sounds spot on. If there is a place or better still two places i'll have 'em please.

Cheers,

Mark

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
i...would..be..interested..if..this..trip...comes..up..again!!...atb...allan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE