Candle lighting with flint and steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Yes I use the flint and steel to light candles or oil lamps in living history situations quite often.

I use a sulphur "match" to create a flame from the char cloth.

Take a peice of resinous pine or some such and split it into match wood.

Shave the ends to a point and dip in molten sulphur to coat the tips.

When dry, store in your tinderbox.

To use, touch the sulphur tip to a glowing ember and the sulphur will ignite.

Wait a moment and the burning sulphur will light the wood splint.

Use this to ignite your candle.

Mine are double ended and I keep a few in my firelighting kit.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Culicoidis

Not tried it with flint and steel but can manage it with a modern firesteel and back of a knife.

2 Tips.

1. Use a candle which has been used before, the burnt area catches the spark.
2. Fluff out the wick so that the fibres are smaller but provide a greater surface area.

Good luck
Stu

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Flint and steel to lighted candle by shortest route?

I would use "cigar tinder". Make a cigar from a rolled dry leaf, or birch bark, or news paper. Stuff a piece of car cloth in the end. Light char cloth, blow twice and the cigar turns to flame. Light match.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
We use the concentrated pitch wood that we find in old pine stumps. I don't know if you have that in GB.

When a Pine tree is cut or dies naturally it will leave a stump and root that are rich in pine sap. The same stuff they use to make turpentine. There are several species that do the same but the most common here are Southern Yellow Pine, Longleaf Pine, Virginia Pine.

We take this rich wood and scrape small shavings into a tin to keep for starting fire. A teaspoon will burst into flame at the touch of a spark and burn for a few minutes. Easy enough to light a candle from that.

Culicoidis

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
Wiltshire
Ogri the trog said:
So guys, where can us ordinary mortals get hold os some sulphur to give this a whirl?

Ogri the trog

Ogri,

I get it from a chemical/medical supply company, within limitations any adult can order chemicals as long as they are not controled. Failing that some chemists do stock it. If you have a hard time getting hold of it PM me and I will see what I can do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE