camper van

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
im looking at spending the summer in a camper van this year work is flexible enough and i have saved enough so i can do it . as i am completely new to this kind of thing does any one have any top tips .i mean i dont want or can buy anything top of the range .
ive been looking at getting a plane old transit and just putting in a therma rest i mean how much gadgets do u really need if you are just out for the summer - besides i hope to be out in the wood or the on the mountains most of the time just want the flexiblity to move around . and im not one for guest houses or b and b s also as i am getting beyond my prime now carrying everything on the back is not really an option these days - well not more than a few days at a time

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
The only advise I can give you on this is that many camp sites do not allow vans, but maybe you are not planning to stay at camp sites..............Jon

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I have adapted my van with a removeable deck about halfway up the cargo compartment.

This means you can sleep on the deck but still load all your gear underneath.

We spent 7 weeks touring Northern Scandinavia in it last year and it gets used regularly for shorter trips.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
no not really planing to stay on sites if i can help it i dont think i have much in common with the on site people.
im looking into really speding time completeing my ml qualification

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
If your going to put plywood on the floor of the van it's worth putting a couple of layers of underlay under it to provide some insulation.

If you can get a Transit with windows in the back (even if you put plywood inside them for security) aparently they are allowed to go faster according to a speed scamera partnership bloke a mate was talking to.
The ones without windows are only allowed to do 50 in a 60 zone area but the ones with windows (like mine :lmao: ) are allowed to do 60.

Yep, a few campsites don't allow "High sided vehicles" which I was told was to discourage gypsys (the bloke who told me that ran the Strathclyde campsite) but who gives a toss, with a van you don't need a campsite as a layby does.

Mines got a semi high roof but as I have only had it for about a month I have not kipped out in it yet.
Don't forget to ask when the cambelt was last changed.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I looked into van camping for a mate a few years back . If looking at second hand already converted vans , be carefull . One we looked at had that much 4x4 in the back to support everything , it was over the weight limit for carrying and that was without the family and kit they would take !! Also make sure that there is ventilation if you are going to cook in it ! It will probably be worth your while completely lining the back out for a couple of reasons . Firstly it will stop condensation dripping on your face at night and secondly it will keep the rear compartment bearable wether facing a hot or cold spell .
Hope it works out for you
Pumbaa

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
pumbaa said:
I looked into van camping for a mate a few years back . If looking at second hand already converted vans , be carefull . One we looked at had that much 4x4 in the back to support everything , it was over the weight limit for carrying and that was without the family and kit they would take !! Also make sure that there is ventilation if you are going to cook in it ! It will probably be worth your while completely lining the back out for a couple of reasons . Firstly it will stop condensation dripping on your face at night and secondly it will keep the rear compartment bearable wether facing a hot or cold spell .
Hope it works out for you
Pumbaa

I am not sure but I think the ones that have windows in the back also have lined/insulated roofs, mine does anyway.
I don't think the ones without windows have the lining/insulation but am not sure in all cases.

I have not "converted" mine as I need it to carry my tools and full sheets of plasterboard but it has a plywood floor with underlay.

If you line the back out it's worth putting dabs of silicone at areas that might rattle cos otherwise the noise gets right up yer nose.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
How about the jap people carrier vans such as the Toyota Spacecruiser? Comfy, with all the options as standard and still cheap. Many are converted to mini campers, so it can't be too hard, plus they are not classed as vans so insurance isn't quite the problem that it could be. I believe that most have removable seats in the back that would make it a normal van, but some also fold flat to make a large comfy sleeping deck.

shadow57

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 28, 2005
Glossop, Derbyshire
Hi

I have VW Karisma campervan that is 21 years old. £3000 ...3 years ago.

Its nothing special but it beats sleeping in a tent on a campsite.

Good points,

Dry and comfy
Freedom to move on.
Relaxed
Good view when it rains on tents
Easy to manoeuvre
Secure
Dumping visitors in for extra accomadation.
Noise cut down from other campers

Bad points

Heavy on fuel 28mpg
Winter storage/cleaning

John

T

TimB

I have a VW transporter (Type 25) panel van, I converted the whole of the back of the van like mentioned above (with a stage area). Loads of storage underneath and it even drives pretty well!
loweredvan.jpg

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I've just bought this Transit for £450. It's already got a wood floor and covered with carpet. There's also some MDF panneling half way up the sides. I find there's quite a lot of condensation as someone has already said.

I want to use this just to get to and from different woods and not to use on camp sites. I would love to hear others ideas on how to make the most of this for a "Bushcraft Van" (bearning in mind I still have to use it for band kit :rolleyes: )

I've always liked the idea of a van like this as I can store all my kit in a box and choose the stuff I need to use when I get to the bushcraft area (ie I can choose wildlife watching kit, hiking kit or just sit in the van and have a cuppa).

Maybe we can keep each other updated on progress to Van Bushcraft Customising :lmao:

P1010009_2.jpg

Pablo

AlbeoLupus

Forager
We also run a VW T25 van - 'Ronnie'

He's fitted with a full width Rock n roll bed, 3way fridge, cooker and hopefully soon a propex heater (just needs fitting). We also have a contraption that lets us fit a hammock across the front seats.

new_wheels_1.jpg

It now also has aroof box to carry extra kit ;)

Andy :cool:

Greenpete

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2004
Oxfordshire
www.greenpete.co.uk
william# said:
im looking at spending the summer in a camper van this year work is flexible enough and i have saved enough so i can do it . as i am completely new to this kind of thing does any one have any top tips .i mean i dont want or can buy anything top of the range .
ive been looking at getting a plane old transit and just putting in a therma rest i mean how much gadgets do u really need if you are just out for the summer - besides i hope to be out in the wood or the on the mountains most of the time just want the flexiblity to move around . and im not one for guest houses or b and b s also as i am getting beyond my prime now carrying everything on the back is not really an option these days - well not more than a few days at a time

If you intend traveling in anything but warm weather insulate the roof and walls or you'll be living in a water fall!
Also my friends and I find a little log burner to be well worth the effort when it comes to cold evenings and cooking (personally don't like gas so always cook on the camp fire or log burner) not to mention the all important brewing of tea!

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I would agree with fitting insulation behind the wood panelling. You could staple loft lagging to the board backs or glue to the van I guess. This will also help keep out the heat in the summer too, I would have hoped. You could quite easily fabricate folding beds and tables on the sides of the panels with secure fittings. This would allow easy conversion from kit lugger to camper.
Sounds fun-wish I had space for another wagon myself!

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
so far so good
you got a van for 450 quid wow - does it run ok ?
sadly i have the mechanical know how of a yoghurt
i do like the idea of a wood burner though i think the added work of the thing a bit of a pain - also im planning to be out in it for around 5 mths and will be using the odd lay by so i want to keep as discreet as i can - so probably use the old trusty msr for cooking and brewing
i supose it comes down to at the end of the day what is available when i want to buy
though i kind of think that a camper would be good - just a van would do - also thinking about electricity too thought about getting a silent generator so i can use the old lap top too - any tips on that - also has any one had any experiance with solar panels ?
please tell me more about the hammock device - i have really taken to sleeping in hammocks these days

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
If your going to fix a stove I would recommend you do it near the sliding door. This allows you to check on whats cooking from outside without climbing inside.

I have a Westfalia VW T25 camper van meself. The T25 was also made as a four wheel drive or almost as good with a locking differential. The T25 is a great van to drive, though underpowered with the standard 1.6 engine. They hold their value well.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
AlbeoLupus said:
I would stay clear of loft lagging for insulation, as it absorbs moisture :( we used polystyrene sheets).

Yes, that's a valid point. I shall flog myself for my stupidity.

AlbeoLupus said:
Solar panels could cost you more than the van :eek:

Maybe.... My dad has spent the last year and a half in a small caravan while he builds his house. Hes has a solar panel that measures about 1ft x 2ft rigged up to a charger and a car battery. Not the best setup, granted, but it is enough to power electric lighting in the 'van every night, and power a radio. Ok, so he lives in Spain, but even in winter it works reasonably. In all honesty though, it is probably better to rig up a twin battery setup and use one exclusivly for light and power in the back, and the other for the van's regular running. I suppose it is possible to rig up a solar panel on the roof to aid the charging of the second battery, but a flat panel is vastly inferior to a panel that faces and follows the sun, and in the UK this would make a huge difference. Trouble is, a standing up panel would stand out a mile, which you are trying to avoid.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
william# said:
so far so good
you got a van for 450 quid wow - does it run ok ?
sadly i have the mechanical know how of a yoghurt
I was lucky as the previous owner was going abroad. I spent £50 on a pre MOT before I offered the dosh. It needed about 150's worth of work to make it safe, hence the offer of £450. It runs great but it's been around the universe and back, so I'm not going to spend a fortune customising it. I have very little mech knowledge, but by asking around, there's always someone who can do a bit of maintenance ;) I don't intend to do any touring or the like.

Good ideas about the insulation especially the polystyrene backing.

I went out in it today. It was too late for a walkabout so I just sat in the back with a flask of tea watching the wildlife through the sliding door sitting on my folding stool. Bliss :D

Pablo

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
We did up horse lorry living area, we used special carpet to line it.

This is not that costly, it and the glue we used were designed to be used in vans caravans etc, so it is fire proof and reduces sound.

Got it from here, they do everything from water tanks, stoves generators etc

http://www.foxlea.co.uk/bits_10.html

Some glues etc are very flamable so would not be good in vans so pay a little extra is my advice. I do know of a couple of vans which have been gutted by fire while someone cooking inside, no one hurt but think careful before using anything.

For power we have leisure battery which lights, laptop etc runs off.

This runs from a split charger so can recharge while driving yet will not drain main battery while engine is not running.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE