Cambridgeshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I'm up for Bushcrafting in the area! A little further out (Bury St. Edmund's/Newmarket)

Anything happened yet? this thread was started a while ago now! Im gona spend some time this year looking around locally for some 'Proper' permissions for full Bushcrafting! There are tons of small woods around, so gona approach local farmers/landowners via kind letters!

Here is a good video on YouTube by The SilverFox
tips on gaining Permissions

I'm moving to that area. I'll be interest to know what permissions you come up with. Apart from having a new house to renovate, a busy job and young family, I'm well up for some Suffolk bushcraft in my loads of free time. :)

IDEA -- BUSHCRAFTING @ SCOUT CAMP BASES??!!

Good to hear shep.. thought id make a start today looking around the web, might as well start along the lines of the popular Rough Close meet site I go to in the mid-lands (next meet organised for March to coincide with the N.E.C outdoor show!) Rough Close is a Scout Camp, (website) so I've been looking in Cambs for sites of the same nature.. here's one Ive found.. Little Abington

The site lists the same activities as Rough Close

Site Available for Camping: All Year
Suitable for County Camps Yes
Suitable for District Camps Yes
Suitable for Patrol Camps Yes
Suitable for "Backwoods Camps"; Yes
Altar Fires Yes
Cooking Area Yes
Campfire Circle Yes

Other Organizations - Site fee per person £3.00
Other Organizations - Evening Visitor (incl. use of toilets) £0.80

Anyway, instead of me listing all the facilities, have a look at the link Scoutbase.org.uk

Its not as big as Rough Close but should be ok for our Bushcrafting requirements, if there's enough interest, i'll contact the site warden.

If your interest at looking at how good Scout sites can be for Bushcrafters (I was dubious at first, as I like to get away as far as possible from civilisation!!) Here's the Rough Close meet Jan 1010.
A few more photo's on my blog too and Jimbo's blog!

Hope this at least gets some ideas moving around!

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Wolf - thats a smashing idea.
For many years my brother and some friends did winter camps, often at scout camps for super cheap and well out in the sticks. Think we got them as he was a leader but a grand idea in my book!

I presume they wouldnt object to a shave horse or two appearing and a bit of whittling and carving going on..?
Sycamore or willow look the best spots to me.
:)

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
As an aside its close enough that if people wanted to come down for the day and pay 80p for a whittle and brew by the fire we could even end up with a reasonable amount of folks.

If it went well - dare i suggest a monthly meet.....? Ok i know getting ahead of myself.

Put me down as definate - only proviso is the date not clashing with something.

If there is interest i might be able to bring some green wood for using - but lets get rough numbers and dates lined up first!

Well it's good to see there's still life left in the thread!!

All good idea's, I'm sure there wouldn't be any problems with a horse! (so long as it's not a live one!)

So long as everyones ethos is 'No Impact/No Trace' Bushcrafting, i.e, no trace of fire/chopping/cutting/.. even leaf litter is re-scattered over flattered ground to cover all traces and tracks! Shouldn't see why we should have a problem regarding us there! With respect to nature, neghbours, their site rules, and of course, the Health & Safety aspects!

There would have to be a comprehensive list of all on site though, (ie no random people turning up late at night with a 6 pack and noise uninvited not recommended) in today's world, I'm afraid things are different to when we were beavers/cubs! You have to respect there are/possibly kids around! And there welfair comes above all things!

Anyway.. Let's not get too deep.. Let's just see if there's enough interst first! No disrespect to the Thread maker! But if interest is low, I might make a newer thread, as this ones so old now!

Happy Crafting

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
IDEA -- BUSHCRAFTING @ SCOUT CAMP BASES??!!

Good to hear shep.. thought id make a start today looking around the web, might as well start along the lines of the popular Rough Close meet site I go to in the mid-lands (next meet organised for March to coincide with the N.E.C outdoor show!) Rough Close is a Scout Camp, (website) so I've been looking in Cambs for sites of the same nature.. here's one Ive found.. Little Abington

The site lists the same activities as Rough Close

Site Available for Camping: All Year
Suitable for County Camps Yes
Suitable for District Camps Yes
Suitable for Patrol Camps Yes
Suitable for "Backwoods Camps"; Yes
Altar Fires Yes
Cooking Area Yes
Campfire Circle Yes

Other Organizations - Site fee per person £3.00
Other Organizations - Evening Visitor (incl. use of toilets) £0.80

Anyway, instead of me listing all the facilities, have a look at the link Scoutbase.org.uk

Its not as big as Rough Close but should be ok for our Bushcrafting requirements, if there's enough interest, i'll contact the site warden.

If your interest at looking at how good Scout sites can be for Bushcrafters (I was dubious at first, as I like to get away as far as possible from civilisation!!) Here's the Rough Close meet Jan 1010.
A few more photo's on my blog too and Jimbo's blog!

Hope this at least gets some ideas moving around!

Other organizations? I'm not sure Bushcraft, qualifies, they probably mean Guides/Cadets/St John Ambulance, but I my be wrong.
(BushcraftUK certainly isn't well known enough, if they look into it, they'll realize it's not policed in any way).

I approached the idea of scout sites 6+ years ago! in Norfolk/Suffolk with the same Idea.

one massive problem I'm not sure how you'll get around.....child safety laws/legislation!

Can you prove you are safe? chances are, probably not (even with documentation).

Many sites literally won't allow non-scout groups, and certainly you can forget having a meet whilst scouts are there! (which rules out most weekends and some evenings in the week).

the other big issue is that scouts more than likely will want to camp at the same times i.e. summer, Easter, school half terms, long weekends etc etc.

look at it this way: (sadly it's the way most schools and the media thinks)

imagine you are a slightly concerned parent, your only son starts scouts, you hear the kids talking about unknown men that have been, or are planning to camp on the same site. (nothing more than friendly, considerate Bushcraft).
Are they planning to come back?
Are they a threat?
Are they hiding cameras (or something equally ridiculous)?
What? they had axes?:eek: and Knives? :yikes:
It doesn't even need to be the same day for parents to worry unnecessarily!

Scout sites/groups/leaders don't want bad press(or even rumors) yadda yadda, lets not even risk it.....scouts only.
"Careless talk doesn't save lives, but It does save funds"

when it comes down to it, to a Bushcrafter, any interest in anything even remotely associated with scouts, you're a pedophile unless you are proven to be a scout leader or parent of a scout (but they won't say that).

no doubt the laws will get tighter.

If it's any help, as a "non scout" Bushcrafter I have camped at 3 scout sites:
one west of Thetford called "two mile bottom", but we've had no replies to E-mails at all.

the other was a site near Bury st Edmunds (i think) it was like the grounds of a hall..scouts were the other end of the 300m field.

the 3rd was a little village south of Norwich, but not really worth it, they never even came to open the toilets or turn the outside water tap on...ugh! very small lawn campfire area with metal bits all over it! not impressed.

If you have any luck, or find any loopholes please tell me!

Last edited:

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Two comments from the 'Thread maker'.. :)

Wolf, more then happy for the post to be re-vitalised elsewhere although given its started here it might not hurt to continue here so those of us who have expressed an interest dont get lost. Leave that up to you but if you have then maybe post that here so we find it.

Rappleby,
I see your point however lets not put obsticals in the way before we have a chance to explore the option. It seems you might have had some bad luck and maybe we could be constrained to weekends when scouts are not using the site but lets have a go and see.
The website does seem to be relatively open to the idea of 3rd parties using the site.

Wolf - u think it is worth contacting them to see if it has legs at all?

Im happy to, I just dont want to tread on toes, erm paws..

Hi Badgeringtim, re 'New Thread'.... Sorry, didn't mean to go treading on any threading with my big waders, It was just an idea if the thread went.. 'Dead'!! The title 'Cambridgeshire' is good for anyone looking so lets leave it for now aye!

Hi Rappleby2000 (Love the Blatant Bushcraft thread, great to see loads of followers, shame about the Photo response so far, I'm sure the idea will kick off soon though!)

Understand your concerns re: Kids at the camp!! I had those when I first went to 'Rough Close'.. and found it even more bizarre that 'Decorum' only took your profile name when he saw you, then ticked it off the list he had from the Thread attendance! No Checks, no security on the way in!! Specially as there were girl scouts camping in the field next to us.. and like you said, we all had axes etc!

If we need to come up with a more extensive checking system of people, we could always provide documentation, such as a bank statement or similar to prove current living address!.. (and if we get the ok and there's enough interest ill get a CRB check (Criminal Records Bureau Check!.. (£40)) (at the moment I'm checked with the 'Home office' for Criminal Records as my job requires it (Money/Banks!!), but I don't think that includes children!

Anyway That aside, Ill chat with Decorum and see how he went about it! (I think he might be a scout leader!)

No worries Badgeringtim about letters, thanks for the offer, but like I said, Ill check first with Decorum, then do a nice hand written letter.
There's nothing more personal than receiving a hand written correspondence, rather than a rushed e-mail!
People appreciate the effort taken, and its more memorable. Plus I think I might whittle a quick coffee coaster in the shape of their camp site logo to go on his/her desk!.. 'Trust me' they will remember receiving my letter! (I worked in marketing before my current job so know all the tricks of advertising/marketing to get past the junk mail pile and into their heads!!) Plus it will be a little taster of the things we do!

P.s Lets all keep an eye open for any angles on some woods out there! If anyone knows anyone who shoots pheasants etc., see if you can get a contact number, we might be able to hire the woods out of shooting season! (I did have a random conversation last year with a bloke in my village pub, boasting how he used to be a warden for the local woods! Hav'nt seen him since though!

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Howdy Wolf,
No worries, im only playin.
I do think that re the camp site - a hand written request is nice, although there was a mechanism for approaching the site set up on the site you posted and we shouldnt assume that there will be a problem without simply asking them. Its just that i am keen to get something set up and it just might not be all that difficult. Maybe im being a bit simple but having done camps in many areas it all seems to depend on who is running the site.
If we did have problems i am sure we would all be willing to ensure some type of safety arrangements, but lets not assume there will be?

Im not ciriticising and Wolf all the above are great ideas, just keen to get a meet going and see some like minded people.

I'll make some enquiries from some shooters around here about woods and see if that comes up with anything as well.

Howdy Wolf,
No worries, im only playin.
I do think that re the camp site - a hand written request is nice, although there was a mechanism for approaching the site set up on the site you posted and we shouldnt assume that there will be a problem without simply asking them. Its just that i am keen to get something set up and it just might not be all that difficult. Maybe im being a bit simple but having done camps in many areas it all seems to depend on who is running the site.
If we did have problems i am sure we would all be willing to ensure some type of safety arrangements, but lets not assume there will be?

Im not ciriticising and Wolf all the above are great ideas, just keen to get a meet going and see some like minded people.

I'll make some enquiries from some shooters around here about woods and see if that comes up with anything as well.

Go Go Gadget Tim!!.. Your right, lets just give it a shot, my route is probably 'OverKill'.. anyway, perhaps we can 'Whittle' them something when/if we do get permission.. as a thank you!.. Plus I'm far too busy with Prusik hitches/Fishermans Knots.. Making a Hammock Underquilt.. Sharpen my new Axe.. modifying my Fire Crane Cooking System.. the list is endless.. but thats what happens when you spend far too much time indoors over the winter aye!!

You go for it.. its your Thread after all.. we're all here to help with ideas and momentum!!

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Wolf and All,
I contacted the site representative for little Abington who responded very rapidly.
He will have to put our proposal to the comitee meeting in mid february, although was not unduely negative. He asked about dates as there are several bookings unconfirmed and so we may need to be flexable which i have said would be fine if he can let us know.
I have also asked if there is anything further i can provide them for the comitee so may be requesting more information from people in due course.

However can we start to put some suggestions down for date, I sugest March at some point. I am free so will ask others to make suggestions.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Chaps, why not use the Rough Close example to support your application?

Quick phone call from their warden to Nigel at Rough Close and he'll be able to put them in the picture.

I know the Rough Close meets came about through Decorum's personal involvement with the site, so if you can establish a relationship with the site team you'll stand a much better chance of getting something sorted.

I have fond memories of district cub events at Little Abington - it's only two villages away from where I grew up, so hopefully might be able to combine a trip home with a spot of East Anglian bushcrafting :)

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Wallenstein,
I did mention Rough Close - although didnt have the detail that it was through Nigel - thanks for that. I will have a chat with Decorum as well.

Cheers

Great work Badgeringtim..the stone is certainly gaining momentum down hill!

Re: Dates, I think it would be best to state which dates we 'Cannot' do, rather than ones we can!

If you cant do a weekend, add your name to the same 'Date Line', or create a 'New Date Line' in chronological order! (cut 'N' paste to new reply!)

I know its early days, but at least we can gauge what weekends are more do-able!..

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
I am available all of March and April at the moment.

It is early days, but the site is very popular and are waiting for our dates right now - i would say we need to have this with them in advance of the council meeting 'mid Feb'.
We then have to sign up to their charter and provide quite a lot of detail about ourselves and our 'organisation'...hmmm.. ??!?!

All fine with us im sure, but it will take a little doing, so can i encourage people to please get dates into this as there isnt much more to be done untill we have a more firm suggestion for them and wouldnt like to miss out on a nice spring meet!

So if we few go and do some gentle encouragement to other locals it wouldnt go ammiss either...

:)

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Hi Guys of Cambs

I would be interested in a moot in our area. I am not available for these days: 12-14/2, 19-21/2, 26/2 & we will probably be away for Easter, 1-6/4.

Other than that I should be OK. I will probably bring my son and maybe one of his mates but I am in Huntingdon and could maybe offer a seat.

Anyone got an idea for a theme or just an inaugural "moot n groot!!" Possibly overnight? How about bringing some bushy stuff to trade or sell?

Look forward to it anyways :)

Craeg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE