Calling all Bearclaw Field Knife owners.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
My question to all you proud owners of this (stunning) knife, is what is it like? I've read the review on british blades, but would like to know what its like own and use long term, presuming you use it rather than just gazing with wonder at its lines ;) Has anyone actually hammerd on the pommel to drive the tip deep into wood as Mr Kochasky suggests? I bet no one has actually stood on the blade, once hammerd in that is, to see if it breaks :eek: :eek: Any feedback would be welcom, any gremlins or bits you would change? I really want one and as this will be my last knife, no really I mean it honest, would like to know if this is THE bushcraft knife. So come on tell us about it.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I think the first batch is still in production so I doubt many people have received them yet. I certainly haven't. IIRC Gary said he's aiming to get them out (the first 50) by christmas

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
The current batch is going to a very select "few" shall we say. Perhaps once the knife has been tried by more people we will have a good indication of this knives ability.

I am not having a go at anyone here, only pointing out the danger of hype when so few have actually tried the knife. I will withhold opinion till those I trust as experienced knife users and reviewers have handled and used this (or any knife) have their say.

I have seen far too many knives touted as "the next best thing" only to find things like overly small/large handles et al spoiling the product.

I will of course withold my own opinion and final judgement till I try it myself!

Lets not get carried away here, it looks great, the maker is fantastic and Gary knows his stuff for sure. However the perfect recipe can be overcooked and go wrong. Though I am expecting this to be a very good knife personally.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I will be getting #12 and I'm going to have a very good play with it before I judge.

I love my Gene Ingram #6 Drop point to bits so the BFK has a lot to live up to with me.

I think the quality and build of the knife will be second to none and as with all knives, the rest from there is purely personal preference.

Joe

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Tant, I have no idea specifically... I imagine sometime early next month though.

I'm sure it's going to be worth the wait, I have had a small play with the antler version and although I didn't do anything proper with it, it felt good in my hand.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
The General said:
The current batch is going to a very select "few" shall we say.
Eh? They're only "select" because they got their orders in before I did!!! :D
From what I know, the first few are going out to respected testers for quality control/testing and the first fifty are numbered to appease the collectors. But orders are still being taken for un-numbered knives. I don't think the numbering has any effect on quality though. ;)

Cheers,
Martin

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
shinobi said:
Eh? They're only "select" because they got their orders in before I did!!! :D
From what I know, the first few are going out to respected testers for quality control/testing and the first fifty are numbered to appease the collectors. But orders are still being taken for un-numbered knives. I don't think the numbering has any effect on quality though. ;)

Cheers,
Martin

I am getting a numbered one and it certainly won't be stuck in a drawer. :p

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
BorderReiver said:
I am getting a numbered one and it certainly won't be stuck in a drawer. :p
Same here mate. :D I reckon that owners should take piccies of their knives in action. If there's no use within a year, the knife has to be returned and given to someone that will use it for what it was designed for!!!

Martin

ScanDgrind

Banned
Mar 18, 2004
Cornwall
Hi yarrow.

Well it was me who was lucky enough to get the chance to test the BFK No.2, and as the General pointed out the review was only my opinion. As you could probably tell from that review, I really liked it. I must point out that I don't work for Bearclaw and the review was a truthful and honest opinion on what I thought of the knife.

I'm still using the knife now for all my bushcraft outings and I still really love it. I have to say that so far I have had no need to hammer on the pommel to drive the knife into a tree as I usually carry an axe :) . I'm not sure that I would be happy doing thiis as although the brass pommel is fixed to the tang of the knife in a secure manner I reckon it could be possible to smash the cap off if you caught it with a heavy off centre blow, but for such tasks as splitting fibres, sinews or opening nuts the pommel is well up to the task.

Not much else I can say other than try one and make your own minds up. If for some reason you didn't like it you could always sell it again I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem finding a buyer :) . As for the one I have... well that's staying with me because I think I've found my perfect bushcrafing knife.

All the best,

Tony

Slimey

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Hertfordshire
redcollective said:
Sorry to dredge up an old thread... but has anyone used one of these BFKs yet?

Nope not here, and it'll be a long time 'til I do, got to wait for number 47.

Should be with me by christmas, it's a long wait but I bet it'll be worth it. :D

Simon.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Those who were at the Wilderness Gathering got a chance to see it and it was many people who saw it. I was standing next to Gary during the weekend and had to listen to him talking about the knife and see all the interested people who wanted to see the knife.
I am not a big knife nut, but I have to say and I know many agree with me that it has a great design and the handle is just so good to hold.

If you go to any of Gary´s courses just ask him to see the knife and you will get the presentation of it (wich I have heard 1001 times).

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
I'm so excited my tail would be wagging if I had one - just sent off a deposit to Gary for a BFK... now to settle back and wait for delivery day... in the meantime if anyone does get theirs between now and april do post a report.

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
I got #46 if my memory serves me well. I think the delivery time was given as 3 months - which should take it up to mid October, but I expect that to slip.

When it arrives I'll post a reveiew with pictures. The suspense is killing me...

richardw

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2005
Kent
Gary has just posted on BB that the first batch (up to number 15) should be with us in about two weeks time. That includes mine!

Yippee!! :D :D

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
yarrow said:
Has anyone actually hammerd on the pommel to drive the tip deep into wood as Mr Kochasky suggests? I bet no one has actually stood on the blade, once hammerd in that is, to see if it breaks

Do people really do that :confused:

Jeez, have they never realised that mortice chisels have been invented :confused:

And even anyone that did that with a mortice chisel (hammer it in really deep then stand on it in such a way that they would try and snap it) deserve a bloody good slap across the back of the lug with a lignum vitae mallet.

In my opinion that is :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE