Bushshirt - Easter sewing project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

benjy

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2010
Swindon
I finally got round to making a bushshirt over the Easter weekend, motivated by wanting to make it as a birthday present for a friend.

The finished product:
IMG_20140421_145107.jpg

I used this pattern:

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/7076-Anorak-pattern

I drew out the pieces and cut pattern under the careful guidance of my Mum. I used the thick brown paper that (appears to be?) free at Ikea which is used for packing items. I liberated a decent length of this on my last visit to allow me to make the pattern.

Made from single blanket approximately 60"x80", 55% / 45% mixed fibre blend, plus a few bits of leather, paracord and toggles.

Mostly machine sewed, had to re-learn how to use one once again thanks to my Mum. Cuffs and collar are trimmed with leather, and the collar is also fleece lined for extra comfort / warmth.

I am really pleased with how this turned out, especially as I've not used a sewing machine for about 20 years. I've already ordered 2 more blankets to make some more, starting with one for me!

Some more detail:
IMG_20140421_145121.jpg

Done up:
IMG_20140421_145026.jpg

Back:
IMG_20140421_145208.jpg

Another front view:
IMG_20140421_145007.jpg

benjy

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2010
Swindon
So I gave jumper as a gift tonight. My friend had seen some pics I'd posted on Instagram, but had no idea it was for him.

Also, he thought I had merely accessorised an existing jumper not made it from scratch.

All in all he was pretty chuffed with it, and hopefully he'll get some good usage out of it.

Time to make myself one!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE