bushraft knife. who make the best??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Yep - when I used to have trouble with breaking stuff I got a real tool
pry3.jpg

Nothing like six feet of tempered steel!

After I broke that I got smart.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
SARHound
Here at BCUK we're aware that the internet is big enough for all sorts of tastes and all sorts of ways of doing things. One thing we won't get into here is the kind of "my knife is better than yours" or " such and such a steel is the only steel to take into the wild" posturing which can be found in some other forums. Don't bring that kind of argument here, it's not wanted.

If you spend some time reading the other threads you'll also see we have quite a respectful and friendly way of discussing things. Your last message doesn't fit with that way of doing things. If you want to stick around here you must find find a way to stick by our way of doing things.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
is not the best knife, the one that the individual is happiest using for the task in hand, horses for courses- nuff said i think

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
There does seem to be a bit of a culture clash going on here, and way too much aggression over knives and steel. I'm as interested in knives as the next person here, but I avoid reading and writing about them too much because it would be too easy to get distracted from the outdoors+nature stuff that gives me peace and contentment, and instead spend time thinking about getting the new kit I can't afford and the big knife that'll make me happy for only a day. I'd be surprised if most of you are not in the same position.

It's also already a matter of public record what people think are good knives for bushcraft. I've spent enough time reading the 'edged tools' section to know. ;) Let me recap: The mora is a great tool and a bargain, but if you want a knife to depend on in the jungle people advise getting something full-tang. The lapp puuko is also considered to be very functional and good value, and for a little more people would probably advise getting something by a decent scandinavian company like Helle or Brusletto or one of Allan Blade's knives, which are thought to be great quality and under priced.

I think that's most of it. Now, why don't we stop arguing and clear our heads of knives for a couple of days. If you have any comments, I'll be at my school playing simon says with 6 year old kids, busy not thinking about knife steel or blade length.

:)

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
:rolleyes: Well you could throw $500 into a Busse 'combat' knife but I'm not sure what the skull bludgening bit would come in useful for in the woods near me... and I can't say I've ever have ever needed a blade designed for stabbing. :confused: As for large logs well no, given a choice I wouldn't baton my knife into one, I'd use a small axe instead - right tool for the job in my opinion.

Stu

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
this is one of those fundimental cultural differences in bushcraft. if you want to see a real bushcraft tool ask stuart about his san knife. a bushmans knife used for bushcraft in the bush.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
I can't help but wonder how it must have been in the stone age:

Morf: "My clean-obsidian flake holds a better edge than your sorry quarzite, Waugh"
Waugh bashes Morfs head in with his fist-axe.

:D

I agree, let's focus on bushcraft skills and not get overly obsessed on tools.

-Emile

firemaker

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 26, 2005
Minnesota, USA
stores.ebay.com
It seems a few here have a different idea of bush craft. To me, its more like a camping trip for fun or a day trip were your just out to have a good time and refine your skills. You may want to start your camp fire with a hand drill or look around for some useful plants. Do some tracking! carve a spoon or bowl just to make your time more real!!! whatever it is for you! If your idea of bush craft is full out survival--self imposed-- then you can bring the biggest baddest knife you can find for your taste and bank acct!! (dont forget the laser) Or the real deal!! Youre lost. You're cold. You need food, some place to sleep and not find your head and body on the menu of somthing bigger then you!! In that case what ever knife you have with you is the best knife in the world. If its one you can pry a log apart with it and get to that big juicy grub, then great! But it seems to me that if you can use what ever you are lucky or smart enough to have with you, and some commen sense, then it dosent matter what the best knife for bush craft is. Its how well you can use your knowlage, your knife, your flint knapping skills, so you can come back and tell us all here how you used that $5 dollar gas station knife to save your life! Sorry for the ranting! its just my opinion.

Fire Starter

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2005
England
Graham_S said:
this is one of those fundimental cultural differences in bushcraft. if you want to see a real bushcraft tool ask stuart about his san knife. a bushmans knife used for bushcraft in the bush.

Graham if you want to see a real bushcraft tool study a piece of flint.

Firemaker - I stand shoulder to shoulder with you on that.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I recently made aknife for the first time. It's not perfect, the hardening and tempering is probably off, but I made it and have been using it a lot:
kitchen for food prep
leathercraft, (mrs uses it as well.)
gardening,
spoonmaking splitting branches with a bit of thumping.
It's still intact so I think I made the best ;) so far...
seriously though I do belive firemaker has it right.
Practice with a knife as much as you can, for everthing (within reason) that it can be used for.
It's a treat to use a high end bit of kit, but it's good to learn to use anything you can.

Fire Starter

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2005
England
Graham_S said:
actually, i've got a couple of hand-axes and scrapers i made at the John Lord workshop at the moot.

Actually graham, I think that's fantastic. You should try using them for all your bushcraft projects just like our ancestors did long before the metal knife was invented.

That's the best way to gain insight into the craft of working with a sharp edge and maybe reach a realization that it's not the tool that counts - but the man behind it.
I once met an old man sitting by a fence carving an otters head on the top of a hazel walking stick His tools were pieces of glass from a smashed bottle he had found by the roadside. To my mind that is what bushcraft is all about - improvising with whatever is available and adapting it to make the best of your own skills.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE