Bushmoot prizes for kids

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Came to a point in my workshop where I was literally tripping over firesteels. How many does one person need I thought? I got 10 from the last group buy on the mini steels.

So I decided to make up five little firestarting sets to give away at the Moot. Rich59 and myself are running the Fire by Friction classes this year at the Moot.

The sets will have to be earned though.

My thoughts are along the lines of:

• You need to be 15 and under
  • Attend a class with Rich59 or myself and receive tuition (experienced pyromaniacs need not enter please)
  • Using one of our sets (bow drill or hand drill) create a coal and then a flame unaided

I basically want to give the kids an incentive to master one of these techniques.

Hopefully all five will go to kids who have created fire using one of the techniques. If that is not possible then Rich and myself will give the sets to those kids who have shown the best improvement.

So the sets:

All come in their own small leather bag

741536340_69a795399a.jpg

They include a mini firesteel, a couple of bits of flint, some char cloth and a small char tube

741536480_c6420c3795.jpg

Finally a closer look at the steels

741536500_58a887ab67.jpg

So if any of your kids want to enter, just turn up at the start of the bow drill class and have a go.

See you there

George

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Great idea George, kids love fire steels...Jason Sears gave my daughter (6 yr old) his old fire steel and she was chuffed to bits with it, but it broke and she cried.... Nice looking sets you have made there....

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
George,

That is a brilliant idea mate :You_Rock_ unfortunately I'm 35 so have no chance of getting one, but good luck to those who take part.

Brian

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Brilliant George, I am always very impressed when others like yourself take the time and effort to pass on skills and encouragement to others, particularly kids. You are a gentleman sir. Hope that everyone gets an ember - I'm sure that they're in the right hands!

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Cheers guys

Glad you like the kits. Was good fun thinking up new styles for each pouch. Had to get them finished now as I am of to the Isle of Lewis tonight on holiday for a couple of weeks with my family.

George

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
snip....
  • You need to be 15 and under
  • Attend a class with Rich59 or myself and receive tuition (experienced pyromaniacs need not enter please)
  • Using one of our sets (bow drill or hand drill) create a coal and then a flame unaided
Snip....
So if any of your kids want to enter, just turn up at the start of the bow drill class and have a go.

See you there

George

when are you holding these classes? I'm not getting there till mid morning on Saturday and I'm sure my little girl would love to have a go at setting fire to something, anything in fact

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE