Bushmoot Or Wilderness Gathering??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rain man

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2006
London
Hi, After being advised that the Outdoors show at B/ham NEC in March isnt really bushcraft oriented, I was wondering if I could pick your collective brains? I am after some kit initially and any knowledge I can gather on my way. These get togethers Bushmoot and wilderness gathering seem to be knowledge heavy, but was wondering if they were good places to pick up a bargain or simply to get to try stuff on/out? As I dont really like to buy "blind" online, esp with clothes.
First off I am taking that they are two seperate events? (silly question number one out of the way)
Are they the same format or are they different types of event?
Are there lots of our fave bushcraft maufacturers at either so I can have a lil' shopping spree?
If both offer everything, is either one more preffered/popular choice?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks. :)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Hi, After being advised that the Outdoors show at B/ham NEC in March isnt really bushcraft oriented, I was wondering if I could pick your collective brains? I am after some kit initially and any knowledge I can gather on my way. These get togethers Bushmoot and wilderness gathering seem to be knowledge heavy, but was wondering if they were good places to pick up a bargain or simply to get to try stuff on/out? As I dont really like to buy "blind" online, esp with clothes.
First off I am taking that they are two seperate events? (silly question number one out of the way)
Are they the same format or are they different types of event?
Are there lots of our fave bushcraft maufacturers at either so I can have a lil' shopping spree?
If both offer everything, is either one more preffered/popular choice?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks. :)

the wilderness Gathering will have all kind of trade stands and places you can buy lots of gear. the bushmoot will have all kinds of people willing to teach you just about anthing you are willing to learn, Last years moot Tony had a small stand selling anything you wished to buy that is availble from the BCUk website.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hi Rain man.

I see you are in london. This gives you ample opportunity to think along a different line.

The WG is what it is and the Summer Moot is very good, but why rush out just on a shopping trip? Long way too!
I may be criticized for suggesting the following; You are ideally placed what with the transport links from London to visit any of the meet-ups that are held at weekends, none further than an hours train or car journey from where you are.
Why not PM those involved and pay them a visit? You will probably make some good friends, see different parts of the home counties AND pick up good realistic tips on what to or not spend your money on. You can then either visit the big gatherings with reasonable confidence as to what you need. Alternatively you can shop on the ether having gathered information as to what you need.

There is the Norwich, Kent, Reading and Bucks, etc to visit.

I hope this may help.

Swyn.

Rain man

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2006
London
Thanks guys, will have a think. Have the girlfriend commitments on weekends so not always possible to duck out to these meet-ups.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
There are always people with kit at meets - as well as at the WG or the Bushmoots. Not necessarily for sale, but kit that they like to use themselves.

Spending any time with other people who spend time outdoors will usually give you some good information and opinion on stuff you might be thinking about - and even stuff you aren't.

Hope you get a chance to get to one. :)

Taiga

Oct 24, 2006
hertfordshire
I agree with Mr Cake about the Wilderness Gathering too many schools not enough trade stands,walked around all of them last year and nobody had any real paracord and I thought that was one place where Iwould be sure to get some,come to think of it nobody han any paracord of any type.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I haven't been to the last couple of Wilderness Gatherings, and didn't attend the first one either, but the two that I did attend were quite different from one another, and I was informed that they were quite different from the first one too. I think that they have settled down over the last couple. When I was there in 2005 there were a lot of schools, some pretty good classes/talks, but the kit on offer was pretty limited, and I didn't see any bargains. Not that I would hold that against the event! It isn't set up as a retail show and as a matter of fact I was considerably more disappointed with the lack of kit at the last NEC show that I attended.

If you want kit, best bet is to do your research and buy it piece by piece from a range of sources as needed. The best places that I have found for seeing a range of kit all in one place are the larger game and country fairs but they rarely have anything you would call camping gear. They have knives, axes, boots, clothing and some other miscilaneous gear, but tents, tarps, real paracord, packs, stoves, cook sets and so on...not much chance.

My experience of the Moots, Meets and the WG makes me think that the former two are better places to go to oggle other people's gear and get a feel for what is available. The atmosphere is a little more relaxed and I found it easier to catch people around their camps and ask questions. Just my opinion.

What sort of kit were you wanting to see?

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Rain Man - Having been to both events I would say that if you want to buy decent kit and learn some of the fundamental skills from professional bushcraft instructors, albeit at a price, go to the Wilderness Gathering. If you want to learn the same skills in a less commercial environment, possibly from some equally knowledgeable people, go to the Bushmoot, although it is further away. There is a simple answer - do all the gardening, housework and d.i.y and get in the mrs's good books so you can GO TO BOTH!;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE