Bushcraft - Sweden 2006

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
A few months ago I got an idea about organising a bushcraft trip to Sweden in year 2006. I asked my dad today if he was up for it and he said yes, so here goes. My dad and I will be the hosts and the general cost of the trip will be kept to a minimum. Transports and food will probably be the only cost for you, we will pay maps. You are totally responsible for your own actions during the trip and I will push all responsibility for your health aside. Nuff said.

The dates are not yet settled, but count on last days of June till first days of July. We will walk a maximum of 10 km. per day as it is primary a bushcraft trip and not a hiking trip. :)

I have found a route called the Ostkustleden, the english equivalent is The Eastcoast path/route. It is in Småland and there's a map of the area here: http://www.sydsverige.dk/fotos/kolonne/markering_oestlige.gif
Unfortunately I can't look at international train departures and arrivals until 2 months before departure date. But as said count on late June. :)

Transport: you will have to make your own flight arrangements to Copenhagen and we will meet you at the airport, after which we will go by train to "Oskarshamn" and thereafter with bus to "Rödsle". We then have to walk 1 km to get to the starting point of the route which is called "Lilla Hycklinge".

The path/route: the eastcost path is divided into 8 levels and it's difficulty is easy. The path goes through the old farming landscapes of Småland and we will pass some skerries too. There are good bathing lakes on every level of the route. The levels range from 17-22 km, so we would have to stop in midways if we have to stick to the 10 km. per day. We will be away for 6-7 days.

Of course more or less minor problems will arise during the planning but i'm sure we can get them sorted if they should occur. Afterall i'm not alone in the planning.

I'm open to suggestions and constructive critisism and you're all welcome to ask questions even if you're not going. ;)

Cheers.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
TheViking said:
Unfortunately I can't look at international train departures and arrivals until 2 months before departure date. But as said count on late June. :)

Wow Andy - sounds great!!!
And it's in a excellent period of time in summer (june / july) :D

Marvelous idea walking about 10 km a day - makes it bushcrafty and not yet "boring" when you stay at one spot.

Just an idea about the international train thingy: You might use the 2005 train departures and arrivals as an indication. Probably there will be some changes made next year, but as an indication it'll do for now I think!

Any idea about bus & train (and other) costs?
Is it possible to buy food / rations just before starting the walk, or do we need to bring our own?
Do you've got a link about the route (swedish or english ... though the latter is preferable ;) )?

EDIT: Just found this PDF-file with info :D - it also includes a map ...
Found some other sites ... but Swedish is a bit more difficult than I thought :( :rolleyes:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Great find ther Ahjno. :)

You will probably need to buy your own food before the walk. Then you will be absolutely sure of what you need and what you buy. It is the most reliable.

As to the costs of transports. I will have to look into that, but I'll wait and see if other members might be interested (we need a few before it will go ahead if you understand :) ).

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
In case anyone forgot Sweden has "Right of Public (or common) Access", which means that one can pick berries, plants, etc. make fires, set up shelter, swim in lakes etc. A true bushcraft paradise. :) Just a note.

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
Hey
Count me in, thats great cause thats the year i'm finished school :D so what level of bushcraft will it be aimed at? I'm a fairly confident hiker/camper.
Cheers
Adam

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Adamscott2 said:
so what level of bushcraft will it be aimed at? I'm a fairly confident hiker/camper.
Hello AdamScott. Good you're interested. :) No formal experience or knowledge needed, just good mood and interest. There will be no instruction unless someone volunteers to do so. ;)

Cheers.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
That's a great move mate, thanks to you and your Dad for offering this to people, I'm sure that it will be a great experience for all that go.

Well done mate ;)

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Great Idea but I just checked flights from my local airport £80 flight :) £89 tax and surcharges :eek: Still I'd like to go but I have alot of trips planned for next year already.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I checked Maersk Air, from Gatwick, London - Copenhagen: GBP 15,00. And same price back again. :confused: OK, i'll look into that when that time comes. :)

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
TheViking said:
I checked Maersk Air, from Gatwick, London - Copenhagen: GBP 15,00. And same price back again. :confused: OK, i'll look into that when that time comes. :)
£15 sounds more like it!, now if I can swing the time off :rolleyes:

Yggdrasil

May 18, 2005
Stevenage, Hertfordshire.
This trip really does sound a brilliant idea. Ialso finnish school next year and as long as exams are over and i dont have other commitments forced on me then i would love to come. Is the trip open so someone my age?
cheers

~yggdrasil~

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yggdrasil said:
This trip really does sound a brilliant idea. Ialso finnish school next year and as long as exams are over and i dont have other commitments forced on me then i would love to come. Is the trip open so someone my age?
cheers

~yggdrasil~

I think you and TheViking / Andy are about the same age, so that's not a problem at all (see #1 post in this thread, no ages mentioned - so open for all, but note the remarks he made about responsibillity etc.). Thus, as said, no probs ... or you must have finished school next year at the age of 80 ;) :D

Pretty sure he will answer your question aswell later today ... or tomorrow when he gets out of the sun :cool: :D

Hope this helps.

PS - Andy, I'm still interested mate.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I would absolutely love to come!

Unfortunately - that would be my first year of sixth form. Not sure if I'd be doing exams around that time to get time off. People at my local sixth form (not the same one I'm going to) do their last exam 17th June. Problem is - I don't know if I too will have my last exam that kind of time next year. I'll phone the school and find out. I know the school has official holiday from the 26th July, but that might only be for lower school. How long would it be for?

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
:p. I'm wondering if I have to do special "A2 Preparation Days" dotted around June though. Sounds just the kind of stupid, intrusive initiatives that the Goverment likes these days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE