bushcraft knife kit.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

ghubca

hello everyone....
ive seen a few of these on ebay lately and am tempted, (item 8713616814), i make knives as a retirement hobby/business, it makes me a little pocket money, i was tempted by this because it is a an easy way to obtain all the parts, and its part made which would speed things up a bit....i like the fact the bevals are not ground so i can choose how i want to grind it, hes also offering free heat treatment....what do you other chaps think of this, is it value for money....

....ghubca...

RichUK

Jul 13, 2005
Staffordshire Moorlands
what do you other chaps think of this, is it value for money....

No, its not value for money, those few bits of brass, 01 and wood cost about £10 ? if you want a knife blank 01 tool steel bushcraft syle I'll make you one this week, just let me know ? :)

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
RichUK said:
No, its not value for money, those few bits of brass, 01 and wood cost about £10 ? if you want a knife blank 01 tool steel bushcraft syle I'll make you one this week, just let me know ? :)
How much would you charge Rich? would it be heat treated?
i need a nice blade to go with some nice lignum vitae i picked up cheap.

G

ghubca

RichUK said:

thats a great offer, how much would you charge me for a couple of bushcraft blades in 01..
ghubca...

G

ghubca

i normaly get my 01 from cromwells, i was just thinking that this way some of the work was done for me....

ghubca..

G

ghubca

dam, its just sold on a buy it now, well thats made my mind up for me.....

RichUK

Jul 13, 2005
Staffordshire Moorlands
Bardster said:
How much would you charge Rich? would it be heat treated?

I shall be making knife kits soon, either part finshed kits or complete kits to suit the buyer / buyers, I'm not sure on the price just yet thats depends on the amount of work reqiured.

G

ghubca

all id require is a blade blank, i can grind my own bevals, heat treat and fit handles.....let me know when you are ready and have worked out a price..cheers.
ghubca...

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
RichUK said:

Now youve gone and opened a can of worms, how much for a full tang blank already heat treated???

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
At that price, I've got enough O1 in my workshop to make me rich!

Seriously, I think the stainless handle pins won't work, I've used stainless pins for handles before and they are much harder to hammer into rivets than brass or nickel silver and even then they have to be annealled. Using stainless pins could split the wood handles.

The seller should have also included vulcanised fibre liners to act as a cushion between the wood and the steel to lessen the effect of movement in the wood which does not appear to be stablised.

RichUK

Jul 13, 2005
Staffordshire Moorlands
spoony said:
Now youve gone and opened a can of worms, how much for a full tang blank already heat treated???

I don't know yet, but they will be competitive with other knife makes, I'm not going to sell any cheaper than others and under cut their work.

RichUK

Jul 13, 2005
Staffordshire Moorlands
ghubca said:
hello everyone....
ive seen a few of these on ebay lately and am tempted, (item 8713616814), i make knives as a retirement hobby/business, it makes me a little pocket money, i was tempted by this because it is a an easy way to obtain all the parts, and its part made which would speed things up a bit....i like the fact the bevals are not ground so i can choose how i want to grind it, hes also offering free heat treatment....what do you other chaps think of this, is it value for money....

....ghubca...

ghubca, is this you or not then ? ebay memember swcbuysell :confused:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
RichUK, Shing,
Now you've done it!
Now I'm actrively waiting to see a price from you. I've made kits from Brisa (very good) now I'm up for a bushy/WL-ish type to have a go at. Next step will be heat treating on my own before I go for steel blanks and doing everything.

Ogri the trog

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
RichUk,

Not wanting to sound terse or anything, but surely what you are offering to do is MAKE people a hand made item and sell it to them

Surely this is what the new makers section is for not the edged tool forum.

So in theory you are breaking the forum rules as your neither a full member or got the "maker" status then according to the forum rules your not allowed to sell on BCUK.

Just thought i'd point this out before a mod spots it and tells you off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE