building my canoe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
My canoe is finished!!!! :D

Went out on my first voyage this morning!

c3.jpg

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

Will get some more pics but for now i just want to go have some fun in it! :D

Im so pleased with the way it has turned out! I feel that i have acheived a lot! This has to have been my biggest project so far! :D

Thanks for all your help!!! :You_Rock_ I couldnt have done it without you all!!! :You_Rock_

I hope i have been an inspiration to some people out there! Just goes to show what you can do with your bushcraft skills!

MISSION ACOMPLISHED!

Jon :D

Reactions: torjusg and sam_acw

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Im dam proud of myself! :D

She handles pretty well! She keeps turning if i just paddle on one side so every now and then i have to paddle on the other side of the boat, but im sure thats partly down to my poor paddling skills, remember this is my firs time in a canoe!

I wouldnt want to try it without the outrigger yet though! bit tippy i think. The outrigger doesnt bother me in the slightest though! :D

I forgot to mention that i made the paddle too! :D

Ive been out onto an island in the middle of the lake where i have never been before! that was fun! I got straight out onto the island and banged my head on a branch of a tree! :rolleyes: :lmao:

I can tell one of you is going to say soon "Now for the tutorial Jon!" :lmao: That would be a big tutorial! :lmao:

It has started raining really bad now so i cant go out in it for a while! :(

Jon :)

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
I looks like it sits well in the water. I think I'd have just as big a grin if I'd achived what you have :beerchug:

To paddle in a straight(ish) line with the paddle on one side, just as the paddle goes past you, when you pull it back, turn it a bit and push out the way.
Not very clear :eek: .
the song of the paddle website has some diagrams on paddle strokes in the hints and tips section, much clearer than I'll ever be. :D

Well Done Jon :You_Rock_

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Fantastic, well done Jon, I have been following this thread with interest....
So, whats best, making the boat, or having the completed boat...?

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Jon,

that's brilliant. Those were the pictures I'd been waiting for - seeing it on the water.

You must be chuffed.

Congratulations on a project well thought out and executed.

david

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Went out in my canoe again this afternoon! Ang guess what i saw!!!! .....A King Fisher :eek:

I went out to some islands on another lake and saw a tiny blue bird dart out from the bushes. Then i lost sight of it. I thought that was a rare sight but then i carried on paddling around the island and there it was again!! It showed up really well because of its beautifully coloured featheres! This time i paddled as quietly as possible! and i got really close to it! After a few seconds of watching it close up it saw me and flew off, so i thought i would follow it, and i saw it again twice after this!!

First time ive seen a knigfisher and i was so glad i had my canoe to get really close to it! :D

I was amazed by its size! it was so small! Smaller than a blackbird! I always imagined them being quite big!

Im going to take a pair of binoculars with me next time! And a camera!

I will have to practice my indian stroke propperly now! :D

Jon

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Have been watching this thread with a lot of anticipation of the outcome.

Congratulations on a job well done. And i must say, well done for listening to everyones advice, the stabalizer seems to have worked wonders for it - and perhaps saved you from getting a tad chilly :D

Hope you have many a fun time paddling in it....until its time to build MkII that is :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE