Buffalo Special 6 Vs. Fleece & Windshirt combinations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leatherneck

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2005
U.S.
Hi Guys!

I've become interested in the Buffalo Special 6, or Pile/Pertex cobination after reading some great reviews about how fast they dry if they become wet. However, i'm on the otherside of the pond and they seem really hard to get over here. It also seems that it has become a bit dated, even for British backpackers who have moved on to Polartec fleece combinations. For those of you who have owned the Buffalo, or pile jackets, do they really handle moisture and wet conditions better than say the new grid-fleece baselayers, lofty fleece mid-layer and windhsirt combinations? Does the old pile really dry faster? Which do you prefer?

Thought I might also try to replicate the Buffalo with this HH pile stuff which is the only pile i can seem to find over here.
http://www.truesafetygear.ca/helly-hansen-pile-jacket-72240-f4597.html

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I love my buffalo mountain shirt. Once I start moving I run really hot and the mountain shirt is the best thing i'v had for temperature management
Without messing about changing and swapping layers

the sp6 I find too warm for strenuous stuff. The mountain shirt is sized just right for me to fit a wool base layer underneath for when its really
Cold or I'm wearing it for long time

like all things. lot of personal preference in it, they work for me

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I prefer Pile for its durability/toughness. A lot of Brit soldiers and especially marines bought them in the 1980/90's for a good midlayer on tours if Norway.
So go on try a HH
Given the choice I will still go for a Fibre Pile (own a Buffalo, Helly Hansen and a Dutch army copy) and only 1 fleese now.

Stevenm

Tenderfoot
Feb 15, 2014
Poole
Hi Leatherneck

I have owned one of the original Buffalo Shirts and wore it for soldiering for over 10 years and still wear it for bush crafting. I also own a Montane Windshirt and several fleeces. A separate windproof and pile/fleece would give more versatility but for some reason the Buffalo just seems to work better in very wet and/or cold conditions. Given the high price you might have to pay in the states alternatives are worth considering. However the Buffalo's cult following is rightly deserved.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Just got my second buff sp6, having worn my first one out, yep get one.

Could be cheaper for a member on here to get one & post it over for you. They start at about £120 posted to a UK address, so its that plus postage to America, hope that helps.

Rob

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Woof's idea is good about getting someone here to post you a buffalo, if thats what you opt for,by the way ive had a buffalo mountain shirt for about 18yrs still going strong they are great bits of kit.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
What I like about my Buffalo shirt (Special Six) is that I can just open up a zipper instead of taking of a layer, oh wait, get the layer on again, oh wait, there's the sun again... You pop it on in the morning and let it air during nighttime. The shirt wicks sweat away immediately, something I have had trouble with when I used the 'layer-system'.

I bought a Belay shirt so I could wear Buffalo gear in a more urban setting also. I'm always the one who just doesn't seem to feel the cold. I find that no matter how good your layer system is, eventually you get chilly. Any shell will eventually downgrade and get soaking wet (gore-tex and such). Pile and Pertex also get wet but dry in an instant and stay warm, even when wet.

Last edited:

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Not a soldier but have done a bit of mountain walking now enjoying getting out into the woods, I've tried the layers topped with a gore tex and after reading about the Buffalo special 6 I got one and I love it would go with anything else now, I get hot quick and tend to put it on once I stop to keep warm but I've used it for keeping warm on nights at work and have found it regulates temperature really well, and it does dry really fast.

Sent from somewhere?

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
I love mine, and think they are great. Although the are not witchcraft friendly if you like to sit by the fire,got a few small spark burns in mine but does not effect it warmth.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
my first Buffalo lasted me 12 years before it was stolen my new one has lasted a couple of years they are excellent bit of kit and lasted me they are still one of the best bits of kit I have used in all my time outdoors, old school yes but they work and are tried and tested.

bearbait

Another + for the Buffalo Special 6.

I wear short or long-sleeved merino T underneath so I can peel off if necessary. (I like to run cool.) For warmer days' hiking I use a Buffalo Gilet +/- Buffalo Windshirt on top. On goes the S6 when I stop for lunch if it's cold; then off again when back on the trail. Have the hood on mine. Also use the Buffalo mitts +/- inner silk gloves, so I can remove mitts for fiddly jobs w/o getting hands too cold.

Also have the twin Buffalo pile sleeping bags from Survival Aids in the early 80s.

And the Mountain Jacket and Special 6 Trousers, both hardly used as they're generally too warm for most of my hiking.

Plus Buffalo will repair/service their gear.

Jackdaw

I had worn the Buffalo Special 6 for a number of years before something decided to go off in my kit and melted it (they don't do well against heat). I would have bought another one but balked at the price being asked for one. Instead I went for a Montane Extreme which I managed to pick up brand new for a steal. It has been going well for the last 8 years with no sign of wear and tear and has been used in most climates. The outer material (pertex) just feels stronger and there are reinforcement patches on high wear areas. It also comes with a very good hood whereas you have to purchase the Buffalo one separately. The pile is slightly thicker which I didn't like at first but I have got used to it.

I have recently purchased the Buffalo Belay jacket and it is currently my go to pull-on. Loving the softer pile. The HH pile is very good. I had one in the early 90's for deployments to Norway and found them to be excellent when coupled with a parachute silk smock.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE